Coronavirus: The latest from MSE
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides
FURLOUGH & ANNUAL LEAVE FAQ
GOVERNMENT ADS TO WARN BRITS OF BREXIT TRAVEL CHANGES - WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
TESCO BANK TO SCRAP CURRENT ACCOUNT INTEREST RATES
WATCHDOG WARNS MORE THAN 100 PACKAGE HOLIDAY FIRMS
Buying a new Dacia - advice?
I’m after some advice in relation to a new car.
I’m currently running a 2002 Renault Clio (automatic) that I’ve had since 2014. In this time, I’ve covered approximately 50,000 miles. When I bought the car, it had 25,000 miles on the clock.
It’s generally been an ‘ok’ car, but it’s really starting to show it’s age. I’ve had to call the RAC 14 times since I’ve owned the car due to breakdowns - they are generally only minor issues, but it’s extremely inconvenient and I feel like it’s just a ticking time bomb as to when I’m next going to break down, which makes driving quite stressful. Additionally, there is an issue with the gearbox where I have to warm up the car by driving for around 25 minutes before I can get above around 45mph as otherwise there is a very loud clunk and the gearbox goes into ‘safety mode’ and won’t change out of 1st gear until I restart the car. It’s been doing this for 3 years now, it doesn’t cause any major problems but it adds 50 minutes to my commute each day. Additionally the boot is locked into place so I can only access through the rear seats. The cambelt is also due to be replaced in February 2021.
I commute about 75 miles a day (37 miles each way), but travel by train 80% of the time and drive the remaining 20%. With the pandemic and soon to be returning to work, I will be driving a lot more as I won’t feel comfortable using public transport. Commuting, combined with my usual private driving means I will be travelling approx 20-25k miles per year.
On top of this, me and my partner are expecting our first child later this year, so I need a car I can rely on to drive us around (my partner doesn’t drive and has no intention of ever doing so), meaning we are a one car household.
I’m not after a flashy car and I couldn’t care less what it looks like, I just want something reliable that I can keep for as many years as possible and run into the ground. This is leaning me towards a Dacia Sandero (essential trim).
The cost of this model is £7995. I’ve read the standard engine on this model is slow and not great for motorway driving so it’s recommend to upgrade to a 0.9l turbo which brings the cost to £8,745. I see that there is a Bi-fuel option (Petrol & LPG) which is available for £9,095. Based on my mileage and assuming petrol prices go back up to around £1.25/L in the next few months, this would result in fuel savings of around £1000-£1200 per year, more than justifying the £350 upgrade cost. There is a station that offers LPG within 5 minutes of my house and also one I drive passed on route to work, so accessing LPG shouldn’t be an issue.
The car has a big boot for its size which will be great for the pushchair / shopping etc and being a new car, should be reliable (backed up with the 3 year / 60,000 mile warranty).
I’m after any advice on my plan / what people think of Dacias (I’m seeing more and more every time I look around) and any other tips etc.
Thanks in advance!