Credit Karma hard search made - no idea why

15 replies 465 views
Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
7.3K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
Email recently from Credit Karma:
Hi ,
A credit application came through on your report and we wanted to make sure this was definitely you.
Not you? Check who searched you and contact them.

Account shows this:

Alert status:  Hard credit search
Lloyds Bank PersonalCurrentAccounts7.2(CR BSB API) has carried out a credit application search.
Lloyds Bank plc (SA,TAC,CT,SR ML CVAL,R, CT Batch)
Checking Credit Application

No credit applications made by me, and I suspect this is some sort of batch processing job - but at face value it's worrying.
Anyone seen this before?

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    28.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You wouldn't generally get a hard search without knowing what is was for. 

Do you have any financial associates - an application by them could result in a hard search on your file. 

If not, this one might be worth querying.

Also check your other three files to see if anything else looks untoward.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    zx81 said:
    You wouldn't generally get a hard search without knowing what is was for. 

Do you have any financial associates - an application by them could result in a hard search on your file. 

If not, this one might be worth querying.

Also check your other three files to see if anything else looks untoward.
    Thanks - odd, isn't it.  No financial associates.  Other three files?  Credit reference agencies?
    Lloyds can't provide any information (no surprise there) and the fraud team are closed until Tuesday - impressive, isn't it.  No wonder there's so much bank fraud!
  • edited 24 May at 7:49AM
    zx81zx81 Forumite
    28.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 May at 7:49AM
    Have a look at Experian and Equifax (or the free versions).

I wouldn't overly worry right now, but I'd you saw another application elsewhere, you may have a problem.

Have you actually checked your file on Credit Karma? Sometimes their alerts are completely wrong and don't reflect the actual data.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    zx81 said:
    Have a look at Experian and Equifax (or the free versions).

I wouldn't overly worry right now, but I'd you saw another application elsewhere, you may have a problem.

Have you actually checked your file on Credit Karma? Sometimes their alerts are completely wrong and don't reflect the actual data.
    Checked the CK file, which confirms the search.  Nothing on Equifax.  I'll check Experian.
  • Mrp791Mrp791 Forumite
    19 posts
    10 Posts
    Have you had any old debts , I’ve recently been having a nightmare with piggy bank a statute barred debt over 7-8 years old I refused to pay as told them statute barred they then carried x2 hard searches saying I had applied for credit , which I hadn’t not in over 8 years ! 
    Have a look into that maybe. It’s only on my credit karma tho! As far as I can tell
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mrp791 said:
    Have you had any old debts , I’ve recently been having a nightmare with piggy bank a statute barred debt over 7-8 years old I refused to pay as told them statute barred they then carried x2 hard searches saying I had applied for credit , which I hadn’t not in over 8 years ! 
    Have a look into that maybe. It’s only on my credit karma tho! As far as I can tell
    Thanks, but nothing like that. I’ll try to find out from Lloyds what’s going on, but it’ll be like wading through treacle.
  • MalkytheheedMalkytheheed Forumite
    298 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I had a hard search i knew nothing about from RBS about 2 years ago. Totally unsolicited. I'm not a customer of theirs either. Never did get to the bottom of it. 
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have the answer now, in case anyone’s interested - and it’s a bit worrying.

The reason for the hard search is that a person with whom I once had a joint account (closed a couple of years back) applied for a bank account.  She was associated with me, and I fully understand why my file would have taken a hit then, but since the account was closed there should be no association.

Talking to one of the banks, I’m told that old association could be indefinite. That doesn’t sound right.  Any further thoughts?
  • cymruchriscymruchris Forumite
    795 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have the knowledge to give anything constructive other than - do you still know that person, have contact details, and are on talking terms? If so, I'd let them know what's happened, as within their credit files, the association still exists, and they would be able to remove that association with the click of a mouse in each of the CRA's.  You mentioned previously that you have no associations showing on your side.  Is that something you could investigate?
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!