New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Am I being greedy PLEASE HELP!?

14 replies 1.3K views
lara247lara247 Forumite
5 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hopefully by the end of the Month I will have the keys to my first ever home how exciting! I have been looking at the council tax bands and a handful of the houses on the same street and the one literally next door is in the BAND B category. The house that we will be moving in is BAND C, I have actually been in one of the houses ( family friend on the street) her house is exactly same if not slightly bigger their 3rd room plus a toilet downstair ( it is a row of terreced houses built at the same time the early 1900) My husband is all about the simple life and said do not appeal against it but what breaks my heart is why should we be paying more? exactly the same street the homes are the same. I do not want to cause any bother to anyone at all but if I was to pursue it do I even mention that I have seen a neighbours house and there really isn't much different ( ours is the smaller one of course I would never mention the door number!). I want to let it go but every penny counts at the moment. Has anyone ever appealed is it a long tiring process? How was it even worded? what was  your outcome? I tried to explain to my husband it is like two students studying the same degree and the other one is charged more when the course is exactly the same!

Am I being greedy? should I just let it go and embrace I will have my lovely home soon, or pursue it, the worse case scenario is everyone on the street gets pushed up to BAND C I definitely don't want that either.

any advice appreciated! TIA 

Replies

• edited 23 May at 2:03AM
    deannatroisdeannatrois Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 May at 2:03AM
    I'm not sure why you think getting the correct council tax band is greedy.  The following links may be useful if you haven't already seen them.  The first link says if you wait more than 6 months after moving in, a council tax band can only be challenged in certain circumstances.

I did it when I moved into a new place and was successful - this was some time ago though.  

https://www.gov.uk/challenge-council-tax-band
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/council-tax-bands-change/
    https://www.gov.uk/challenge-council-tax-band/evidence-supports-your-challenge

• lara247lara247 Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thank you for the links. 
    There are 14 terraced houses side by side 12 are BAND B and two is C the one I have bought and another one is C.

I have read one of the links where a lady appealed and than the whole street was pushed up a band! I honestly don’t want to be “ that  hated neighbor” or ruin it for other people. It has made me more frustrated  when I just looked up the street and found 12/14 is a BAND B. Why on earth is mine a C.

Surly the council will understand where I am coming from?
  • cymruchriscymruchris Forumite
    524 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    lara247 said:

Surly the council will understand where I am coming from?
    Yes - with two in band C already - they might up the other 12 from B to C so that all the homes on the street are of uniform rating. (It's been known to happen) - So you might also end up with some very upset neighbours :):smile: You take a chance - and see what happens - it could go either way.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • CatsacorCatsacor Forumite
    379 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    The 2 that are categorised as Band C are classed as semi detached, the others classed as terraced.
    Semi detached and terraced will always be different because of this banding - when selling the asking prices can be slightly different too.
    This was how my last house was categorised and I learned this when I thought about asking to change bands, I didn't in the end.
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    30.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banding is based on the nominal value of the properties in 1991. No more, no less.

If the properties are ostensibly identical, their values should have been. 85% of the properties being B suggests that's the correct band, assuming the other two really don't have any factor that would increase their relative value.
  • Marvel1Marvel1 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's tricky as could go either way:
    * Yours become band B
    * Theirs become band C
  • edited 23 May at 9:47AM
    blue_max_3blue_max_3 Forumite
    576 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 23 May at 9:47AM
    Ask the B owners for a contribution to keep quiet. Problem solved.
  • jimbogjimbog Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    The difference in my town between those bands is £200 a year
    Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
  • blue_max_3blue_max_3 Forumite
    576 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I rent a flat (attic conversion) and the owners own two identical houses, next to each other. Both houses have the same conversion, by the same builder even. My flat has an additional bedroom, as the other was finished first and they were not allowed to make it two bedrooms.
    Yet my band is C and the other is D! I'd be sore if I rented the other one for sure.
  • Mutton_GeoffMutton_Geoff Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    lara247 said:
    next door is in the BAND B category .. The house that we will be moving in is BAND C .. it is a row of terreced houses built at the same time the early 1900
    Is yours (and the other band C) the ends of the terrace and therefore semi detached rather than terraced houses?

Compensation/Refunds - £4,655 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £4,365 | Tax Avoidance - £107,000
    All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!