New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

FRAUD

14 replies 780 views
okmdokmd Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie

I was scammed. So basically I saw shoes on an Instagram account for sale and they were 135 pounds and I contacted him to buy it. I later sent my name adress and email and then the payment which got declined and the he sent different account details and it did not get declined it went through. He later said the payment did not go through so send it another time which I did and after that he did not reply so he took 270 pounds of my money. This was through a natwest account.  and I dont know what to do as he has my details such as my address.

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    27.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry.  He won't be interested in your address as there are no shoes to send you.

You can report it to NatWest but the chance of getting anything back are very slim.

Just don't send him a any more cash and never buy anything from Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    okmd said: I dont know what to do as he has my details such as my address.

Actually all he has is your money which you willingly sent him (twice) unfortunately. 

A hard lesson to learn.  
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He didnt take 270 pounds of your money,
    You sent it to him, willingly
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • sharpe106sharpe106 Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    okmd said: I dont know what to do as he has my details such as my address.

Actually all he has is your money which you willingly sent him (twice) unfortunately. 

A hard lesson to learn.  
    Has address to as the OP said he had sent address. Although granted probably not that intrested as now has money so move on to next mug. 

With exception of reporting it to Natwest not to much can do.
  • Blackbeard_of_PerranporthBlackbeard_of_Perranporth Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    okmd said:

I was scammed. So basically I saw shoes on an Instagram account for sale and they were 135 pounds and I contacted him to buy it. I later sent my name adress and email and then the payment which got declined and the he sent different account details and it did not get declined it went through. He later said the payment did not go through so send it another time which I did and after that he did not reply so he took 270 pounds of my money. This was through a natwest account.  and I dont know what to do as he has my details such as my address.

Just so if a magician appears and this post vanishes, we can still remember all about this alleged fraud than happened!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
  • camelot1971camelot1971 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I'm amazed how many single posters on here always seem to lose their £ key. It's almost as if they are not in the UK....
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    157 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    This is what Citizens Advice Bureau says : Contact your bank immediately to let them know what’s happened and ask if you can get a refund.

Most banks should reimburse you if you’ve transferred money to someone because of a scam. This type of scam is known as an ‘authorised push payment’.

If you've paid by Direct Debit, you should be able to get a full refund under the Direct Debit Guarantee.

If you can’t get your money back and you think this is unfair, you should follow the bank’s official complaints process. If your complaint isn’t sorted out in 8 weeks, or you get a final response letter, you can take your case to the Financial Ombudsman

If your post is genuine - and some people here don't seem to feel it is - you should at least try to get your money back. And in the future, don't buy things online!! Unless you do it via PayPal or some other safe way.

• HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    MalMonroe said:

If your post is genuine - and some people here don't seem to feel it is -

I think most regular posters are aware of the one post wonders.

And some do not actually believe that someone is perhaps Er silly enough? to do what OP has claimed?

Op appears to have done this transaction 3 times by possibly bank transfer??  Hopefully 1st one did not actually work?

But suspect OP will not be back to tell any further info?

Hopefully OP gets help from the bank on this issue? So good luck.

£135 for a pair of shoes?  
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    22.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the possibility of a bank transfer refund not for a more complex or convincing scam?
     I'm not sure sending a second payment without bothering to check what had happened to the first would count as either. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm amazed how many single posters on here always seem to lose their £ key. It's almost as if they are not in the UK....
    Some people use PCs with US keyboards (like mine) which don't have the £ key; they also don't know about ALT 0 1 6 3 which is the key combo for inserting it.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay