New Post Advanced Search

Comparison of energy price

9 replies 120 views
Dpp83Dpp83 Forumite
5 posts
Third Anniversary
MoneySaving Newbie
Hello to all money saving experts , I hope you can help me . I have been switching energy suppliers for more than 10 years using comparing sites , trusting them that they'll do the hard work for me , every time they show me different supplier , claiming they're the cheapest one for me , for the first few months I pay the promised price and than the price goes up with EVERY SINGLE company I've used. My current supplier promised me around 20%cheaper price , but few months down the line I pay twice as much than my previous supplier , I don't know how the comparison sites work as they estimate your feature usage , is there way to compare the prices by price per unit/ kWh and daily standard charge , as when I compared those prices between my old and new supplier , my new one was more expensive , so how does the comparison calculatter tells me that supplier is cheaper ?The pricing is made so complicated , that people can't make the math themselves , leaving us relaying on sales man/tools and when our expectations don't get met they using as an excuse price /usage spike.

Replies

• Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    6.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You've inadvertently posted in the wrong part of the forum - you're not the first and won't be the last - it's badly designed but MSE won't change.

You are falling foul of the stupid rules that the comparison sites have to work to. |You should always ignore the savings and look at the bottom line figure and compare that with what you are actually paying.

The sites don't estimate your usage if you give them your actual consumption - if you say you have 4 beds then that's where the guesses and the errors come in.

I've swopped several times and not had the change of DD that you refer to.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • dogshomedogshome Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's vital that you enter your actual annual consumption in Kwh, go through your past bills and work it out - anything else and the site is useing pure guesswork

• CardewCardew Forumite
    28.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is also pertinent that comparison site's income is solely from the commission they receive from an energy company. So if you give them the chance to quote you only for a monthly Direct Debit, they will set it as low as possible in order to get your custom and hence their commission. Thus telling them only you live in, say, a 3 bed semi and 4 people in the house is licence to kill!
    As said above, you must give them the annual kWh figure for both gas and electricity and you will get an exact annual price with the exact kWh cost and daily standing charge.
    If you can't find out your kWh figure from your bills, just guess. If you post details here people will help you make an educated guess.
  • edited 3 June at 12:03PM
    greatcrestedgreatcrested Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 June at 12:03PM
    Ignore the supposed savings they suggest.
    Look instead at the per Kw cost charged by each company and the daily standing charge. Compare that to your current supplier and to other alternative suppliers.
    If it's the charges are lower, you'll save money!
    Bear in mind the reason you have to increase your direct debit some months after switching may be that energy costs have risen (for this supplier as well as you previous one), or that your usage as increased.
    If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link.

• lizh_3lizh_3 Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    I totally agree with Greatcrested. Just find the "energy tariff labels" and compare those. Compare price per kwh and the standing charge (given in pence per day for gas and for electric) with what you are on now. It's like buying tomatoes by the kg. You want the lowest you can get on both (from a company with a reasonable customer record). This summer kwh prices coming down so companies are  clawing back by increasing the daily standing charge. But most I saw only add about £25 a year so lower fuel cost should well cover it.  I complained to OFGEM about the comparison sites because they often don't compare with the tariff you are currently on but with the one you will be MOVED to if you don't take action (much higher). That's why you never see the promised saving. Also bit cross with MoneySaving Expert's recommended Pure Energy today because on their website you can't see their tariff labels without filling in loads of details. NOT TRANSPARENT enough MoneySavingExpert.. 
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    lizh_3 said:
    Compare price per kwh and the standing charge (given in pence per day for gas and for electric) with what you are on now. It's like buying tomatoes by the kg. You want the lowest you can get on both
    What if the company with the lowest daily charge and the company with the lowest kWh rate aren't the same?
    For example, Cheap-O-Day Energy is £1/kWh with a daily charge of 1p.  Cheap-O-Watt Energy is 1p/kWh with a daily charge of £1.  Which is cheaper?
    Clue: If one company had the lowest price per kWh AND the lowest daily charge, we'd all be using it and there would be no need for any comparison sites.
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lizh_3 said:
    That's why you never see the promised saving. Also bit cross with MoneySaving Expert's recommended Pure Energy today because on their website you can't see their tariff labels without filling in loads of details. NOT TRANSPARENT enough MoneySavingExpert.. 

Then point this out to CEC .
  • greatcrestedgreatcrested Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gerry1 said:
    lizh_3 said:
    Compare price per kwh and the standing charge (given in pence per day for gas and for electric) with what you are on now. It's like buying tomatoes by the kg. You want the lowest you can get on both
    What if the company with the lowest daily charge and the company with the lowest kWh rate aren't the same?
    For example, Cheap-O-Day Energy is £1/kWh with a daily charge of 1p.  Cheap-O-Watt Energy is 1p/kWh with a daily charge of £1.  Which is cheaper?
    Clue: If one company had the lowest price per kWh AND the lowest daily charge, we'd all be using it and there would be no need for any comparison sites.
    then think about your usage. If your usage is high, then a lower per kWh charge is better than a lower standing charge.
    If your usage is low, then a low standing charge an higher per kWh charge will benefit you.
    If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link.

• matelodavematelodave Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    lizh_3 said:
    I totally agree with Greatcrested. Just find the "energy tariff labels" and compare those. Compare price per kwh and the standing charge (given in pence per day for gas and for electric) with what you are on now. It's like buying tomatoes by the kg. You want the lowest you can get on both (from a company with a reasonable customer record). This summer kwh prices coming down so companies are  clawing back by increasing the daily standing charge. But most I saw only add about £25 a year so lower fuel cost should well cover it.  I complained to OFGEM about the comparison sites because they often don't compare with the tariff you are currently on but with the one you will be MOVED to if you don't take action (much higher). That's why you never see the promised saving. Also bit cross with MoneySaving Expert's recommended Pure Energy today because on their website you can't see their tariff labels without filling in loads of details. NOT TRANSPARENT enough MoneySavingExpert.. 
    In my case an extra 1p on the kwh will cost me £72 a year, whereas an extra 10p on the standing charge will only cost me an extra £36.50 so you need to balance the charges against your consumption, one is not always better than the other.

Like Robin I've swapped suppliers lots of times (ten in the past ten years) and only Scottish Power has ever really tried to faff around with my direct debit. I input my own estimate of consumption (which is based on ten years worth of data) and do my own sums so I know what I should be paying to balance over the year and am not swayed or influenced by the projected savings or lower DD costings..

I also monitor my consumption against my profile to ensure that my account is on track to balance out at the end of the period. - it takes around 10 minutes or less a month to read my meters, send in the readings, check my account, download the bills or statement and fill in my own spreadsheet - easy
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers