New Post Advanced Search

Ryanair won’t reply

5 replies 98 views
canaryboy11canaryboy11 Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
We intended to have a 10 day holiday in Oporto and Lisbon in May. Ryanair sent a email cancelling our flight to Oporto.  Our accommodation in Portugal was also cancelled. Ryanair then told us that our flight back from Lisbon was going ahead with a time change.   I have contacted Ryanair via their website stating that as they’ve cancelled us getting to Portugal how can we be expected to fly back. 
Any comments before I contact my bank etc. 

Replies

• Justice13075Justice13075 Forumite
    2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭

What are my options?

If your cancelled short-haul flight is covered by EU law, your airline must let you choose between two options:

1. Receive a refund

You can get your money back for all parts of the ticket you haven’t used. For instance, if you have booked a return flight and the outbound leg is cancelled, you can get the full cost of the return ticket back from your airline.

2. Choose an alternative flight

If you still want to travel, your airline must find you an alternative flight. It’s up to you whether to fly as soon as possible after the cancelled flight or at a later date that suits you. Airlines often refer to this as being ‘rerouted’.

Although most airlines will book you onto another of their flights to the same destination, if an alternative airline is flying there significantly sooner then you may have the right to be booked onto that flight instead. You can discuss this with your airline.

Care and assistance

If you choose an alternative flight you are also entitled to care and assistance. This usually means food, drink, access to communications (this could be by refunding the reasonable cost of phone calls) and accommodation (if necessary).

• JulesNottinghamJulesNottingham Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Any advice please? We booked to go to Porto with Ryanair and drive through Portugal and Spain, all hotels were cancelled and FCO advice is not to travel, so of course we did not go. Ryanair refuse to refund my money as flight went ahead, what is the best way to get my money back please, I booked on credit card? Thanks
  • Justice13075Justice13075 Forumite
    2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    From MoneySavingExpert website.
    However, there's one caveat here – some airlines, like Ryanair, are saying they're planning to run flights regardless of the FCO travel advisory. And that changes things, as if your flight's running but you don't turn up for it, you won't be able to get a refund from the airline. You'd need to rely on your travel insurance paying out for the flight – it should provided the FCO travel advisory's still in place.
    Looks like you will have to claim from your insurance company.
  • WestinWestin Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any advice please? We booked to go to Porto with Ryanair and drive through Portugal and Spain, all hotels were cancelled and FCO advice is not to travel, so of course we did not go. Ryanair refuse to refund my money as flight went ahead, what is the best way to get my money back please, I booked on credit card? Thanks
    There is no obligation on Ryan Air to give a refund, or for a claim on your credit card.
    You would need to look at making a claim from your travel insurance.

• FungasFungas Forumite
    94 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    We intended to have a 10 day holiday in Oporto and Lisbon in May. Ryanair sent a email cancelling our flight to Oporto.  Our accommodation in Portugal was also cancelled. Ryanair then told us that our flight back from Lisbon was going ahead with a time change.   I have contacted Ryanair via their website stating that as they’ve cancelled us getting to Portugal how can we be expected to fly back. 
    Any comments before I contact my bank etc. 

My understanding is, if you booked a return flight and the outward was cancelled, and the booking was under a single reference number, you'll get a full refund - directive EU 261/2004 applies. If however, like me, you booked a one-way outward trip and a one-way return trip under separate booking references (we did it out of flight time convenience), Ryanair will state that they will only refund the cancelled flight from the UK.