I am the first to admit I am to nervous to press the button.

Options

I think as advised I need to post this, because I am avoiding bankruptcy, the stress is worse then the debt, I think I am just gonna go live in the woods.

Statement of Affairs & Personal Balance Sheet

Summary

Monthly Budget SummaryAmount(£)
Total monthly income816
Monthly expenses (incl. HP & secured loans)757
Available for debt repayments59
UNsecured debt repayments979
Amount short for making debt repayments-920

Personal Balance Sheet SummaryAmount(£)
Total Assets (things you own)400
Total Secured & HP Debt-0
Total Unsecured Debt-34,599
Net Assets-34,199

Household Information

Number of adults in household1
Number of children in household
Number of cars owned1

Income, Expense, Debt & Asset Details

IncomeAmount(£)
Monthly income after tax816
Partners monthly income0
Benefits0
Other income0
Total monthly income816

ExpensesAmount(£)
Mortgage0
Secured/HP loan payments0
Rent392
Management charge (leasehold property)0
Council tax0
Electricity20
Gas20
Oil0
Water Rates0
Telephone (land line)0
Mobile phone20
TV Licence0
Satellite/Cable TV0
Internet services0
Groceries etc.200
Clothing30
Petrol/diesel0
Road tax0
Car Insurance0
Car maintenance (including MOT)0
Car Parking0
Other travel40
Childcare/nursery0
Other child related expenses0
Medical (prescriptions, dentists, opticians etc.)0
Pet Insurance/Vet bills0
Buildings Insurance0
Contents Insurance0
Life Assurance0
Other Insurance0
Presents (birthday, christmas etc.)0
Haircuts15
Entertainment20
Holiday0
Emergency Fund0
Total monthly expenses757

Secured & HP Debt DescriptionDebt(£)Monthly(£)APR(%)
Mortgage0(0)0
Secured & HP Debt totals0--

Unsecured Debt DescriptionDebt(£)Monthly(£)APR(%)
cc100002000
loan90002600
cc38001200
loan30000
cc38001200
cc40080
cc800150
loan600220
loan1000400
cc1400380
cc2800560
loan6991000
Unsecured Debt totals34599979-

Asset DescriptionValue (£)
Cash0
House Value (Gross)0
Shares and bonds0
Car(s)400
Other assets (e.g. endowments, jewellery etc)0
Total Assets400

Comments

• Mandy9966
    Mandy9966 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Is there a living expense guideline?
    A lot of this is borderline, I would like to go out a lot more but I put £20 a month to try stay in some sort of range.
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd bump your groceries to 220, put in a 20 emergency fund, 20 for holiday. That would leave your income and expenditure roughly the same and should avoid an IPA
  • mwarby
    Options
    you have a car, but no expenses to go with it. Do you use the car or is it off the road ?
  • Mandy9966
    First Post
    Options
    mwarby said:
    you have a car, but no expenses to go with it. Do you use the car or is it off the road ?
    Its is sorn off the road and has a bad oil leak, I wont lose no sleep if they take it, I can't afford to tax/insure it or get the leak fixed.
  • Mandy9966
    First Post
    edited 19 May 2020 at 11:13AM
    Options
    I do have one more major problem, I have 3 months rent debt and my landlord is happy to let me stay in the house and pay the back rent along side my quarterly payment in September, as he knows I will have the funds paid to me in that month, I therefore owe £1200 with agreement to pay £2400 in September.

I did not take this amount off my yearly income which is £9,792, which would add a negative of £100 per month, if I had.

The problem is the OR might consider this as part of the bankrupt debt and write it off, and not allow me to add it t my yearly costs or at least deduct it from my £9,792 year, this would mean I get evicted.

It is the "MIGHT NOT" that is causing me all the stress and preventing me from going ahead, 
  • mwarby
    edited 19 May 2020 at 1:44PM
    Options
    I think you need to be able to demonstrate that the landlord would take action if it wasn’t repaid. There are a few threads on here which may help will dig out later but search rent arrears on the bankruptcy forum
  • Mandy9966
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks mwarby,  I have redone all the maths and reduced the above SOA and now have £196 left over per month, I feel it would be best to try get a DMP at this stage and am willing to cut back on living expense, I am a student and about to start year two, and hopefully will get a job asap, I just can't risk the OR forcing me to class the three month rent arrears as debt that has to be included in the bankruptcy, that would force eviction and mess up my year two.

I just hope the £196 is enough to offer between these lenders for now, and when I get a part time job I should be allowed to raise my living expense again hopefully.
  • mwarby
    Options
    At £196 that's 14 years of DMP. I'd consider not paying any of the lenders (except your landlord) clearing your rent arrears, then looking at bankruptcy. Although this is technically a preferential payment, it's not the sort generally which would cease you trouble. The OR would understand why you chose to pay priority debts first as this is common debt advice (pay the debts which keep a roof over your head first, ie rent, council tax and utility bills).

If you keep your income low(which will allow you to focus on studies) in year 2 and presumably 3 of your studies, you can avoid an IPA, and finish your studies free of debt (other than student loans)
  • Mandy9966
    First Post
    Options
    My concern is becoming homeless and for that reason I feel DMP would fix this problem in the short term, and as it is not a legally binding contract just an agreement with all party's, I feel if things don't improve after year one I shall consider bankruptcy as an option again.

I also think only from reading online that some changes might happen, one that was suggested was raising DRO to £50k, that would be my preferred option.

If I knew 100% that the OR would allow me to to pay my 3 months rent debt and cause no fuss to my landlord I would have already applied for bankruptcy, this week, but after talking to step change I was told it could be classed as preferential payment and it all depends on the OR assigned to me, and I am not willing to roll the dice on that as it will destroy my second year at Uni.

As always thanks again for your help mwarby.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback