PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lockdown / Furlough boredom, anyone?

Options
1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    We haven't seen DD2 and the three grandsons since before March and although we skype regularly and I read them stories on face time I haven't been able to hold the baby since he was 4 months old and he's almost twice that now.  I speak to DD1 most days and have actually seen her and the baby granddaughter at a distance but not been able to give her a cuddle either.  We aren't bored because we're used to the slower pace of life that has come with retirement and we keep busy with many things and enjoy the garden and allotment but it doesn't mean we aren't as changed by the situation as all of you, we hurt because of it and wish it either hadn't happened or was over entirely. I miss my family, I miss my charity shop pals and being there on the till, I miss being able to walk to the shop for what I want when I want it and the freedom to buy it myself,  I miss Sunday morning coffee at the garden centre and our country drive after but we are all deprived of what we normally have in our lives together and I know it's not just us which somehow makes it bearable.  
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    annieb64 said:
    We haven't  seen our eldest daughter and her children since Christmas either. I'm  not bored but miss things like working in the charity shop , my craft groups and WI. It's  hard to remember what day it is sometimes. DH is working  from home so I only see him at mealtimes and in the evening. We do go for an early morning walk and are beginning  to know the other early walkers by sight. We usually  pass the time of day with a couple of people-at a 2m distance, of course- but I do miss my family and friends.
    Are any of your craft groups  or WI doing online meetings? Im going the crochet through messenger as they are crochet alongs - done at ones now pace, but there are a lot of separate groups that have evolved from those, where you can keep in touch, Im also part of a messenger group with members from here, because we all keep getting banned but like to keep in touch :)

Facebook messenger is the most basic and the easiest to get to grips with, if no one in your real life groups have started one, its really easy to start one yourself
  • annieb64
    annieb64 Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    One of the craft groups does have a facebook page and we post if we've  made anything or just want to keep in touch. Quite a few members have switched to making scrubs or scrub bags at the moment.  
    Our WI doesn't  do online meetings.  The president  sends out an email each week but about a third of our members aren't  online. We phone each other and try to keep in touch .At the beginning  of the lockdown the committee  went through the list of members to try to identify any who had no family  locally and who might need extra support.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback