PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lockdown / Furlough boredom, anyone?

Options
Hi all, 
What are you doing to stave off boredom during this time?

With love, POSR <3

Comments

• MoneySeeker1
    MoneySeeker1 Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 16 May 2020 at 8:50AM
    Options
    Shall certainly be watching this for suggestions. After the initial running-round finding out information etc and catching up with gardening and weekly housework I've only got catch-up tasks to do now (eg springcleaning and paperwork sort of stuff).

there's some tv programmes I didn't watch at the time and now started watching my way through them.

But am very conscious that catch-up tasks and catch-up tv watching aren't going to last that long and will definitely be thinking "Now what I do if this darn Lockdown is still going on?" (apart from whatever housework task I might have set myself for the day and exercise).

I'd saved loads of Pinterest pages of interest to me to learn the sort of stuff I'm interested in from - but that's really meant for "what to do during Welsh winters" and won't last long either. I am definitely going to be at a loss as to what to do soon and the only consolation to that is "So will loads of other people - and so they might start watching/researching The Facts for themselves about things and pushing for Lockdown to end".

Fortunately I've got access to loads of stuff to read - but finding the concentration to read it and knowing very well I was only doing it to "kill time" (which is not a concept I go in for personally) - then I can't see me doing much of that.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We've never been bored, scared yes but bored no.  We're lucky to have allotment space and as it's planting time we've been sorting out the original plot and taken over another one which has needed clearing and digging so that's taken most of our time.  We walk every day too as we're lucky to live in a country village with safe walking round it on lanes and footpaths. I got lots of books in when the virus started to spread and jigsaws and we downloaded a great number of our favourite tv programmes, HK has his paper every day but is currently reading 3 days ago's as they stay in quarantine for 3 days before he reads them.  Can honestly say that mse helps me and posting and interacting with my mse pals when I can't mix with my own has helped enormously too.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Haven't been bored at all, wold be quite happy to have the rest of the year off too.Or more.
    When my parents retired, they wondered how they managed to find the time to work. I'm the same as, except not retired.
    We've been doing the garden, reading, playing games, watching programmes and we haven't even started on inside the house yet.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    DH and I are both working from home, so that’s 8 hours of the day taken care of.  It feels like a lot more Worktime is spent in calls and meetings than would normally happen in the office.  Most evenings after work we go for a half-hour walk, cook dinner then watch telly.  I’ll knit and sew, while watching.  (Not much change there.).  

Weekends, we garden a bit, watch more telly, listen to podcasts together... The Kermode & Mayo Film Review podcast is a regular “date”.  It comes out on a Friday evening and we’ll try to listen to it together by Monday.  (Before Lockdown, we’d both listen on our separate drives to work and then discuss it.). I have a lot of podcasts in my queue and will listen when pottering around the kitchen/cooking dinner/doing housework/gardening/doing a very boring, brainless task “at work” (but only when working from home). 

One evening on the weekend, DH will play Civ online with his mates and I’ll read or phone my friends.  I love to read and have far more books in my queue than I have time to read them.  In our borough, you can sign up on line to borrow e-books from the “library”, but there’s also the Bookbub mailing list which sends a daily email of free or cheap e-books to match your preferences (Kindles, Apple Books, etc).  The Kindle app is free and I read them on my phone/iPad.  Re the library service, you can also borrow audiobooks for free.

Human contact is important.  We have a couple of regular Skype calls set up, e.g. normally on a Tuesday we’d do a pub quiz, now our quiz team Skype at “quiz time”.  My department at work have “Virtual Pub” on a Friday, where we chat and play games.  And my choir are having Zoom calls instead of rehearsals.  (You only need to set up a Zoom account if you are hosting the meeting.)

HTH

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback