Options

Comments

• chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,461 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mumo_of_2 said:
    Brewer20 said:
    Reading online there's no age restriction on buying a car it's just the driving of it. So in theory it could be hers on the sale bill, hers on the V5.
    Insurance thing, I guess that'll be in you name if you go that route before she's 17 but do ask your insurer.
    I strongly advise her starting off with her own insurance maybe when she's passed her test to start earning NCD straight off in her own right with yourself as a named driver on the policy. This should bring down the insurance cost. I did this for my daughter as a new driver, it made a big difference in the quoted price of £1k with some.
    Oh and a tip, start off with as lower size engine in the car as possible, 1ltr is good but I guess you know this. My daughter started off in a Picanto.
    Whatever she buys good luck, the insurance isn't cheap I feel for youngsters today on the price of insurance but I guess we've all been there.
    Thank you.

She has no option but to insure the car herself as a provisional licence holder then full licence holder as fronting is illegal. Many used to do it years ago when I learnt to drive but they’ve stopped it now.
    Fronting has always been illegal but what's being suggested isn't fronting as long as the insurer knows who the main driver is.

With most companies it doesn't matter who owns the car, who the policyholder is or who the named driver is as long as the insurance company know exactly who will be driving the car the most and hence is the main driver. Once you add an additional driver there is usually an extra question asking who the main driver will be.

• lesalanos
    lesalanos Posts: 863 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mumo_of_2 said:
    lesalanos said:
    This may be worth considering 

Thank you for this - it’s really helpful. My husband used to insure with Adrian Flux but I’ve not looked at them for young driver insurance.

Edit: do you have the full link please as I couldn’t find it on their website. Thank you.
    It was mentioned on this page

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/extras/learner-driver/

When my son learnt last year i/we bought a learners policy from 

https://www.collingwood.co.uk/learner-driver-insurance/

I found it the cheapest way to do it at the time as the car was pretty much only used for learning in.  I was insured to drive it too but I cannot remember and restrictions.

Its certainly worth checking out learners insurance.  The policy finishes as soon as they pass their test and then change to a full policy.
  • MidlandsGlory
    MidlandsGlory Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I found a policy searching using comparethemarket.com using my 17 year old son's details at the start of the year, prices vary frequently with offers from insurers looking to boost their sales at any particular time. Paid about £200 for a policy on a 1.0 Picanto in his name as the primary driver. Myself and my wife are also named drivers. As it happens we should get our money's worth as you can't get a theory test let alone an actual test, not unexpected of course and his official instructor is furloughed of course. As others said, it made no difference on test quotes if it was in his name or mine, price was only affected by whom was the primary driver. We took it out in his name in the hope it would be the start of his building no claims but not sure if that applies if your a learner?
    But we can at least get him to chauffeur on essential trips out and leave him in the car so he should be ready as soon as things lift.
    PS a Picanto (2nd generation 2011 onwards) is a fantastic first car, solid, nice to drive, not too slow, spacious for its type. I have been really happy with the one we found.
  • mumo_of_2
    mumo_of_2 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Lorian said:
    I wouldn't be buying one. Its more cost effective for them to learn on learners insurance on you existing cars. Also there is no guarantee that professional driving lessons or even a test are going to be available over the summer. 
    I'd persuade her to keep the money for a rainy day - if I'd be furloughed from my apprenticeship I'd see clouds.
    It’s always been her intention to have her own car as she turns 17 as our two cars are out of the question for her to learn in.

We also believe it gives her something to look after, appreciate and have pride in
  • MidlandsGlory
    MidlandsGlory Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mumo_of_2 said:
    Lorian said:
    I wouldn't be buying one. Its more cost effective for them to learn on learners insurance on you existing cars. Also there is no guarantee that professional driving lessons or even a test are going to be available over the summer. 
    I'd persuade her to keep the money for a rainy day - if I'd be furloughed from my apprenticeship I'd see clouds.
    It’s always been her intention to have her own car as she turns 17 as our two cars are out of the question for her to learn in.

We also believe it gives her something to look after, appreciate and have pride in
    Absolutely agree. One of our cars is a company one so not allowed for under 21's to drive, the other is an £18K SUV so not letting a 17 year old loose in that.
    Our lads Picanto is the most washed/polished car in our household, he is very proud of it and likes to just sit in it an listen to tunes even if he can't go anywhere.  I get told off by him for not driving it respectfully enough! hopefully it will mean he is a more restrained driver in the future.
  • mumo_of_2
    First Post
    Options
    mumo_of_2 said:
    Lorian said:

Absolutely agree. One of our cars is a company one so not allowed for under 21's to drive, the other is an £18K SUV so not letting a 17 year old loose in that.
    Our lads Picanto is the most washed/polished car in our household, he is very proud of it and likes to just sit in it an listen to tunes even if he can't go anywhere.  I get told off by him for not driving it respectfully enough! hopefully it will mean he is a more restrained driver in the future.
    Sounds similar to us - one is a year-old £30k SUV and the other is a brand new Focus so definitely no on both counts😂

I’m sure she will be the same and spend hours polishing it. She’ll get over being one of the young ones on her year and forgive us one day😂
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,461 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mumo_of_2 said:
    mumo_of_2 said:
    Lorian said:

I’m sure she will be the same and spend hours polishing it. She’ll get over being one of the young ones on her year and forgive us one day😂
    That's what I hoped. However, neither my daughter or son have ever washed their cars since passing their tests 10 and 2 years ago. I get fed up with them and usually end up washing them myself after 12 months or so.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mumo_of_2 said:
    DUTR said:
    Your daughter not our! (csa/cms n all that)
    You don't mention a license. That's the 1st port of call.
    She’s 17 in August so can’t drive until then.
    On the road Yes..
    But there are off road center's where they can go and drive. My daughter had clocked up many hours long before her 16th birthday. :)
    Life in the slow lane
  • mumo_of_2
    First Post
    Options
    mumo_of_2 said:
    DUTR said:
    Your daughter not our! (csa/cms n all that)
    You don't mention a license. That's the 1st port of call.
    She’s 17 in August so can’t drive until then.
    On the road Yes..
    But there are off road center's where they can go and drive. My daughter had clocked up many hours long before her 16th birthday. :)
    Yes she’s had a few young driver lessons and has had a couple cancelled due to coronavirus too😔
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,782 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Being bored I have just bought and registered a car for my 16yo daughter and immediately sorned it.

The issue that will be most concerning is you can not currently apply for a provisional at this time.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisional-driving-licence
    That's bold. With potentially a year before they can start learning, what if it takes a while to pass? You could have a car sitting on your drive losing value and condition for 3+ years.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure