New Post Advanced Search

Help me

13 replies 511 views
NicolajdNicolajd Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi can someone help me.. A little kitten keeps coming to see me and my family.. It started just a few Times in the garden here and there but now she's coming in the house she has no coller on so not sure if she has a owner she's out all times through the night can cats just move in even if they have a owner xx

Replies

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cats are a law unto themselves. 

How is she getting in? No cat's ever going to move in with us, because if they DO ever sneak through the door they'll be evicted PDQ (DH not a cat person ...)

Are you feeding her? If you stop, she might stop coming.

Does she look like a stray, ie in poor condition, under-nourished?

Has she been spayed?

Have you asked around your neighbours, fliers through letterboxes? 

the final steps would be
    • putting a paper collar on her with your phone number, asking people to phone you if they think she's their cat. 
    • taking her to the vet to see if she is microchipped
    If she really doesn't seem to have a home, then by all means (try to) keep her, but do get her spayed and bear in mind vet bills need to be budgeted for. 

Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    13.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First thing i'd do is take to a vet and see if microchipped

• PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cats I've had over the years all had other 'homes' where they knew they were welcome.
    One used to leave the house at the same tine as we went to work and we'd see him sat on the wall of a retired couple's bungalow waiting to be let him.
    The old chap used to buy him fish bits from the local fishmonger - after checking with me first that he was allowed to.
    They had the best of both worlds. Cat company during the day and no vet bills.
    We all cried together when I had to go and tell them we'd had to have him put to sleep (kidney failure).

None of my cats ever wore a collar as a friend's cat got caught by his collar and was lucky to be rescued in time.
    All were micro-chipped at the earliest opportunity.

But the cat - however cute - does not belong to you, OP.
    It may be a stray or the owners may be desperately searching for it.
    I've seen threads on here where cat owners were in despair because someone else was feeding their cat and encouraging it into their home.

Make serious efforts to see if it belongs to anyone.
    A responsible owner would have it micro-chipped.
    Not sure how easy it is to get to see a vet right now though.

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pollycat said:
    Make serious efforts to see if it belongs to anyone.
    A responsible owner would have it micro-chipped.
    Not sure how easy it is to get to see a vet right now though.
    From what I've heard, it's possible, but it's handover outside rather than sitting in the waiting room. Of course, first the OP would have to catch the cat and get it into a carrier of some kind - that might send it running for the hills!!!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • ernie-moneyernie-money Forumite
    790 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    We have a cat who suddenly one day came home with a collar on. He always sleeps in our house and gets fed by us, but apparently he goes & gets food in this other house every day while we’re at work & they assumed he didn’t have a home, so stuck a collar on him, as if he was theirs... You can’t stop cats going out the cat flap (well you can, but I don’t think it’s right) whenever they want & go where they like, but unless it’s looking malnourished, it’s probably got a home.
    I don't think I can hang on til Friday...
  • renegadefmrenegadefm Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    My cat used to get fed by several homes around where I live, and still eat what we gave her. I think cats seem to like seeing how much they can get away with. Its in their nature. 
    The original owner shouldn't have let her out yet, and should have put butter on her paws. Apparently that stops their desire to rome. 
    Be careful though cause our cat was less than a year old and got caught pregnant and had 4 beautiful kittens, but I was surprised at the time cause we never let her out at night. So before you know it she will nest somewhere in your home and you'll have more kittens cause she's already concidered there to be a home. 
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    My cat used to get fed by several homes around where I live, and still eat what we gave her. I think cats seem to like seeing how much they can get away with. Its in their nature. 
    The original owner shouldn't have let her out yet, and should have put butter on her paws. Apparently that stops their desire to rome. 
    Be careful though cause our cat was less than a year old and got caught pregnant and had 4 beautiful kittens, but I was surprised at the time cause we never let her out at night. So before you know it she will nest somewhere in your home and you'll have more kittens cause she's already concidered there to be a home. 
    Do you think animals only mate at night?
  • edited 23 May at 1:02AM
    suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 May at 1:02AM
    Kittens can fall pregnant at 4 months old. 

You should have had her spayed long before you allowed her to roam
  • _shel_shel Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://www.cats.org.uk/media/1283/com_1032_lost_and_found_collar_print_out_aw.pdf
    Paper collar her and you'll probably get a call from the owner. 

Don't Buy The S*n
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And ruins your carpets.