New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

When DIY becomes SOS

14 replies 4.6K views
Hi Everyone
What DIY projects have you attempted that resulted in disaster/failure/re-doing?
I am a keen DIY'er but not in the trade. We decided to put a patio in the back garden and bought a nice 2.7m circular paving kit in natural stone. The place where it was going at the bottom of the garden does have a slope so not the easiest location.
Anyway, started on Friday, hole dug by hand, type 1 brought round by barrow load and started to lay yesterday. One cracked slab later and a a wobbly patio, i realised that i may have bitten off more than i can chew!
Lifted all of it today, cleaned area and started again but just as bad.
Have decided to call in the experts! 
Just feel a bit deflated by it all and don't really accept defeat on things and hate to fail but trying to find a bright side such as less time battling with patio means more time with my family :) 

Replies

• RelievedSheffRelievedSheff PPR Forumite
    1.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    We didn't even attempt extending our patio ourselves. When we priced up the materials there wasn't a lot of difference in price for just materials as what a local company quoted to do the job. So we let the experts get on with it! 

• markinmarkin Forumite
    1.4K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Did you put some sand down on top of the type 1?

• Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took me a year to plaster the kitchen. 
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • daividdaivid Forumite
    334 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    My uncle built his own patio, crazy paving out of several big bags of random stones (flat but irregular shapes). It was a giant jigsaw puzzle as he selected stones one at a time and took a lot of time to complete! Looked great finished but definitely not a task for the faint hearted, to my knowledge he had no prior building experience either but had probably researched/asked advice and took his time to get it done.
  • InkedByrdInkedByrd Forumite
    14 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    MoneySaving Newbie
    We decided to knock down wall splitting our dining room and kitchen  and rebuild it to give a bigger kitchen and office space. Husband is not trade as such but did summer jobs labouring for an uncle while at university. We are 2.5 years in and it has taken to pressure to work from home to get the flooring in office laid. It's only been stacked in the room since July 2018.
    I so wish we had brought in the professionals
  • troffaskytroffasky Forumite
    244 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    InkedByrd said:
    We are 2.5 years in and it has taken to pressure to work from home to get the flooring in office laid. It's only been stacked in the room since July 2018.
    Obviously he's letting the flooring acclimatise a bit before laying it.
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not myself, but a guy I worked with decided to construct his own patio.  Got genuine York Stone paving slabs, did a good job of levelling the ground but then decided to use builder's sand rather than sharp sand (or the other way round), in any event bought the wrong sand because it was cheaper.  Laid the first slab and tried to get it level using a pickaxe handle and broke the slab.  He's wasn't a quitter though so threw that slab to one side and used another with precisely the same result.
  • FreeBearFreeBear Forumite
    4.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Owain_Moneysaver said: It took me a year to plaster the kitchen. 
    I've got a wall under the stairs that has needs plastering for <mumble><mumble> years. So just one year to do a kitchen is pretty quick..
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FreeBear said:
    Owain_Moneysaver said: It took me a year to plaster the kitchen. 
    I've got a wall under the stairs that has needs plastering for <mumble><mumble> years. So just one year to do a kitchen is pretty quick..
    It wasn't a year to get round to plastering - it was a year from starting plastering to finishing plastering. It would have cost £160 to get the whole room done by a local chap-who-plasters.  
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • markinmarkin Forumite
    1.4K posts
    ✭✭✭
    You aren't a diyer if you've never put a nail in a pipe, after just replacing that pipe.