Forum Home » Credit File & Ratings

18 year old nephew in financial difficulty

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

18 year old nephew in financial difficulty

17 replies 767 views
Mjfender26Mjfender26 Forumite
202 posts
100 Posts First Anniversary
✭✭
Hey people! Feel like an owl here, mentioned to a family member about this forum, and now I’m being asked to ask another question lol :|

Okay, so I have an autistic nephew (for reasons he can’t use the forum himself, so I’m doing the asking).

basically, he has set himself up, and is in a serious financial badship, for some unknown reason, he has managed to apply and get 3 mobile phone contracts , all around 8 months old now (so there’s no way of returning these handsets), he done it because he wasn’t happy with the handsets he had, a Samsung s10, then an iPhone 11, then iPhone 11 Pro, the lender was sky mobile, now, he doesn’t earn a huge amount, and has been recently furloughed with 80% of his wage.

he defaulted on all three in January, and sky have now sold the accounts to a debt collector.

would this be classed as inappropriate lending by sky? Setting up handset loans for well over £2500 in total, knowing he was on a limited wage? And having three in general is a bit extreme, surely they should of done further checks? Has he any way out of this? Or is it a case of him having to have my sister help him to clear the balance?.

thanks I’m advance, bit of a tricky one .
Debt Free wanna-be in a year.
£15000 debt in October 2017
£0 in October 2018

Replies

• tommyedinburghtommyedinburgh Forumite
    161 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    No, it was irresponsible consuming on the part of your nephew. 
  • Mjfender26Mjfender26 Forumite
    202 posts
    ✭✭
    No, it was irresponsible consuming on the part of your nephew. 
    As expected 👍
    £0 in October 2018
  • tommyedinburghtommyedinburgh Forumite
    161 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    It is a frustration for all involved but there is no getting away from it.
  • Mjfender26Mjfender26 Forumite
    202 posts
    ✭✭
    It is a frustration for all involved but there is no getting away from it.
    Yep! It’s happened , silly really.
    £0 in October 2018
  • edited 10 May at 4:28PM
    Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 May at 4:28PM
    @Mjfender26

It could be argued that Sky kept giving a customer new credit without taking into account the vulnerability of your nephew.

FOS : Unaffordable lending

Make a written complaint.  If they do not uphold the complaint, then the matter could be escalated to the FOS
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    13.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be argued that Sky kept giving a customer new credit without taking into account the vulnerability of your nephew.
    Only if it could be demonstrated that they were aware (or reasonably should have been aware) of his vulnerability, surely?
  • PaulW922PaulW922 Forumite
    930 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    If he has three handsets including at least two high spec ones (the iPhones) he could sell them to help pay down the debt? Once a debt is defaulted you can often negotiate a settlement figure with the lender. 
    I must admit it is a little surprising that Sky allows three accounts in the same name to be opened like this but I am not convinced that this will be classed irresponsible. Maybe you could contact Sky Mobile on his behalf, explain his situation and see what they will do to settle the debt?
  • penners324penners324 Forumite
    346 posts
    ✭✭
    1 would argue the s10 is a higher spec than the iPhones....
  • Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would think that the OPs nephew will prefer my suggestion....
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• edited 10 May at 8:40PM
    Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 May at 8:40PM
    @ OP

Request:

Please could you post these types of threads in the DFW board.  As I keep getting verbals from those on the forum who disagree with members applying the relevant legislation correctly.

Thanks

I love my job