Forum Home» Phones & TV

Sky refusing to cancel elderly parent's contract after long term hospitalisation

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Sky refusing to cancel elderly parent's contract after long term hospitalisation

22 replies 752 views
marcusdhmarcusdh Forumite
7 posts
First Post
I have been paying my father's Sky TV and Broadband bills for over five years. He is eighty-nine and earlier this year, the contract was downgraded to save costs. However, six weeks ago, my father suffered a stroke and will now no longer return home. The house is empty and nobody is using the Sky services. Sky refuse to cancel the contract on the basis that the contract is in my name. I already have a Sky contract at my own house.

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are correct  you are in a valid contract .
    Try a nice letter to them explaining the situation you are in .
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The TV and Broadband should really have been in your father's name, then this situation would have solved itself.  If you then wanted to pay it, you could have transferred the due from an account of your own prior to the debit coming out.

But yes, write a nice letter, explain the situation and see what happens - its perfectly possible to have more than one Sky account in your name, especially if you have more than one home for example.
  • neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    16.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surely, if it's been 6 years you are out of contract and should be able to cancel anytime, with the appropriate notice period.
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    neilmcl said:
    Surely, if it's been 6 years you are out of contract and should be able to cancel anytime, with the appropriate notice period.
    Presumably Sky would argue that the "downgrade" earlier in the year, started a new minimum contractual period.
  • 5limJim745limJim74 Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post
    neilmcl said:

Downgrading could also mean removing content and accepting a discount, and if you accept a discount it could involve a new contract.

Whilst they’re well within their rights to enforce the contract, there’s no harm if you explain it in depth to an advisor or via a letter to see whether there’s anything you can do.. also find out the contract end date etc, the termination charges may be as bad as you think, but it’s not really their fault if it’s in your name. Good luck getting sorted 
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note its not elderly parents contract its the OPs contract .
  • BoohooBoohoo Forumite
    922 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    JJ_Egan said:
    Note its not elderly parents contract its the OPs contract .
    I think all the OP can do is ask Sky how much it will cost to terminate the contract early.
    There is info on Sky's website about the costs but the OP in my opinion is stuck with paying this contract(as it's in his name) until it ends or pay it of early but at a steep cost.
  • BoohooBoohoo Forumite
    922 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a quick look on Sky's website and I looked at this page.
    https://www.sky.com/help/articles/charges-for-ending-your-sky-contract-early
    This maybe of help to the OP.
    Another option is if the OP knows a trusted mat/relation and they have a Sky dish they could use to OP's dads box and card and they pay the OP the monthly cost but then the OP would have to be sure that person/s would pay him.
  • ChinoChino Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    OP - you are being disingenuous with your thread title. As you have explained, the contract is in your name, not your parents':
    Sky refuse to cancel the contract on the basis that the contract is in my name.

• marcusdhmarcusdh Forumite
    7 posts
    First Post
    Many thanks to everyone that offered advice and took the trouble to research on my behalf. The contract was in my name as my father is living on pension credit and I helped him out by paying this bill. However, all correspondence etc was at his address. Moving forward, I will write to Sky Customer Services and explain the situation. Personally, I have had a Sky contract since 1990 and so, I am hoping that they will show a bit of customer loyalty, goodwill and compassion. Otherwise, I'll be stuck with unused services and bills until next July. Thanks again for your all help.