New Post Advanced Search

Air source heat pump trouble

7 replies 92 views
hi 
having been in our HA new build house for a few months now ( really do appreciate it and still cant get over how lucky we are to be here ) ,anyway something still seems amis with the heat pump , i would be going back to the HA but with covid situation we are avoiding all contact so was putting it out there to see if anyone has anything i can do / check 
it is a vailent air source heat pump system consisting of the outdoor heat pump, a tank in our cupboard , one controller of some description in that same cupboard and the thermostat /room controller mounted in the hallway , this is feeding radiators (havent got exact model numbers to hand currently ,but if it would help i could try to get these)
so anyway , on to the problem
the problem is actually 2 thing ( though 1st seem to have found a temporary way around it)
1- the hot water gets too hot to the point where it is actually starting to heat up the bungalow itself above the desired heating temperature . we have got round this by changing the hot water from "day"( which i took as meaning it would heat as and when needed up to the desired hot water temp) to auto which works to time schedules which i have set
2-the heating sounds like it is running( can hear and feel it in the rads) some of the time despite the thermostat heating mode being set to off , i have already tried turning everything off at the mains which does then stop it from running ,i hear the 3 way valve move in some way ,when i power back on it does not immediately start heating the rads but after a random non specifc amount of time it will all start again 
i feel a combination of these 2 issues is causing our electricity usage to be higher than it should be ( we are a family of 2 living in a 1 bed bungalow and most months find it to be £60-£70 ish ) 

any help would be greatly appreciated 

Replies

• CardewCardew Forumite
    28.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried ringing Valliant for advice - https://www.vaillant.co.uk/homeowners/contact-us/

• dazzer567dazzer567 Forumite
    7 posts
    Seventh Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hadn't actually yet , will try later today or after the weekend if not open today 
  • TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    The hot water being too hot could be an easy fix?  There are typically two causes for the problem.  Either the hot water tank thermostat is set too high or the 3 way valve is faulty and is causing the water to continue to be heated even after the tank thermostat has stopped calling for heat.

You're looking for a thermostat on the side of the hot water tank - some kind of gizmo strapped to the tank - possibly cut into the foam insulation.  It'll have a dial - note where it's currently set and then turn it down.  If turning it down has no effect then either it or the 3 way valve are faulty and would need replacing.

If it's a faulty 3 way valve, the problem will reduce or disappear during summer when the heating's not on, but will return in autumn/winter, so you need to get it fixed now for peace of mind.

Even when it's fully working, it's still probably worth leaving the schedule you have on the timer for a couple of times a day. 
  • dazzer567dazzer567 Forumite
    7 posts
    Seventh Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Talldave said:
    The hot water being too hot could be an easy fix?  There are typically two causes for the problem.  Either the hot water tank thermostat is set too high or the 3 way valve is faulty and is causing the water to continue to be heated even after the tank thermostat has stopped calling for heat.

You're looking for a thermostat on the side of the hot water tank - some kind of gizmo strapped to the tank - possibly cut into the foam insulation.  It'll have a dial - note where it's currently set and then turn it down.  If turning it down has no effect then either it or the 3 way valve are faulty and would need replacing.

If it's a faulty 3 way valve, the problem will reduce or disappear during summer when the heating's not on, but will return in autumn/winter, so you need to get it fixed now for peace of mind.

Even when it's fully working, it's still probably worth leaving the schedule you have on the timer for a couple of times a day. 
    There are 2 thermostats under a cover on the side of the tank , only one is wired up ( this is labeled as being for immersion which we do have running once a week for legonella ) there is also a sensor going in to a port on the side of the tank plus another identical sensor strapped to one of the pipes .
    Obviously being a rented property there's not a lot we can really do besides checking things are set right , but figured would post on here as to try reduce the need to have someone visit currently 
  • TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm it's difficult to comment further without really being able to see what's what! For sure the landlord should be able to inform you how the water temperature is set, but maybe photos of what you have would help further the diagnosis-by-distancing?!!
  • edited 8 May at 5:59PM
    matelodavematelodave Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 May at 5:59PM
    If it's anything like my heatpump, the hot water immersion and heat pump temperature are regulated by the heatpump controller not by thermostats on the tank
    There is a temperature sensor about 2/3 of the way up the tank which connects direcly to the HP controller and the immersion just has an over temperature cutout. The heatpump only turns the immersion on if the hot water temp is set above 55 degrees and it also kicks in when the controller requests the sterilisation function once a week. As we only have our hot water temperature set to 45 degrees the immersion only comes on once a week to raise the temp up past the 55 degree capability of the heatpump.

So it does not work like a conventional system. There is a three way valve which again is controlled by the heatpump controller and the room stats are wired back to the heatpump which prioritises what to heat and when so it's difficult to actually give the OP advice when we dont know how his system is set up or controlled.

ideally he should contact either the landlord, installer or Vaillant (probably in that order if he cant get any sense out of the landlord or installer)

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers