Smart TV Recommendations

22 replies 521 views

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SteveOk said:

I believe that all TVs today have the same apps. Netflix, YouTube, Amazon ... What more do you need? The software of the Tv is important. Android from Sony runs very well

Key really is can you add apps and will they continue to update IPlayer  etc .

• beckycraigbeckycraig Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I really have a very good experience with my Samsung TV. According to your budget, I would suggest you to check for Samsung UN65RU7100FXZA. It is a 65 inch TV and it may come in your budget also. I have heard very good reviews of it so far. 
  • ozziex99ozziex99 Forumite
    16 posts
    10 Posts
    Get a Samsung curve. Best decision I ever made!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    16K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned, forget the choice of in built apps but make your choice on the best TV viewing capability you can get for your money, you can always add apps using a separate streaming advice but you can't get rid of a crap viewing experience.
  • jnhuasdjnhuasd Forumite
    40 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    I hate my "Smart" TV. Bought one last your as an "upgrade" for my 32" Samsung. Went with a Samsung for the upgrade. Won't buy a "smart" TV again. Slow, buggy, advertisements on the menu bar. If I could find a HD-4K 42"-55" TV that was light and thin, and just a TV, not some wannabe oversized tablet with a rubbish operating system I'd be happy. My plan for my current TV is to disconnect it from the internet and buy a Firestick or something like it, hell a Raspberry Pi would function better!

• TakmonTakmon Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    jnhuasd said:
    I hate my "Smart" TV. Bought one last your as an "upgrade" for my 32" Samsung. Went with a Samsung for the upgrade. Won't buy a "smart" TV again. Slow, buggy, advertisements on the menu bar. If I could find a HD-4K 42"-55" TV that was light and thin, and just a TV, not some wannabe oversized tablet with a rubbish operating system I'd be happy. My plan for my current TV is to disconnect it from the internet and buy a Firestick or something like it, hell a Raspberry Pi would function better!

As with anything that's why it's always best to do research and read independent reviews before deciding to make a purchase. You seem to suggest that all smart TV's are like this but that is certainly not true and my one is very good. 
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    47.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are getting faster , my newest smart TV is almost instantly responding . It's noticeably faster than the one I purchased last year .

I'd buy another smart TV , worst case down the line I coul buy a set top box 

Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • wongataawongataa Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    neweste said:
    Do you think it would be better to buy a TV with a smart TV or a simple TV and buy a set-top box for it. What will work faster?
    You can't buy a half decent TV that isn't smart.  You don't have to use the smart functions if you prefer to use an external box.
  • dcfc67dcfc67 Forumite
    171 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    5 year warranty at Costco if you live near to one. All tv's working in warehouse for you to view.
    Just need to be a member or know someone who is. 

Also available online to non members but they add a surcharge.

Excellent customer support from this American company
  • SomepiddySomepiddy Forumite
    10 posts
    10 Posts Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Personally I like LG and Samsung manufacturer, I have two TV's from them. Work good!