Smart TV Recommendations

scaredofdebt
scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Hi,
I am replacing a ten-year old TV and want a Smart TV with catch-up apps, should be easy to use (voice command?) and 65 inch.  Budget is around £600 but can go a bit higher if it's worth it.
So far I like the look of this one:
Or maybe:

Please let me have comments and suggestions thanks.

Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108

Comments

• Lambyr
    Lambyr Posts: 437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    This is over your budget by £50, but you may find it cheaper elsewhere. I have the 50" version of it (bought after a friend's recommendation) and have been very happy with it. It does have voice controls, although I'll be honest, they're fairly limited but the picture quality is brilliant, and it came with an LG Magic Remote which can control pretty much everything you might plug into your TV.
    No real complaints. It's the second LG WebOS TV I've bought and would buy another one in the future.

She would always like to say,
    Why change the past when you can own this day?
  • SteveOk
    SteveOk Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    Hi. I have very good experiences with Samsung TV's. Have you already looked at the Samsung RU7099? According to the reviews, the TV is great :)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 May 2020 at 2:46PM
    You shouldn't buy a TV based on what apps it has, buy yourself a Firestick or a Roku stick (other options are available eg Now TV box stick), these both have catchup services but you will need to check both to see which fits your needs.
    Problem with buying a TV is the apps could in theory not be updated in 2 years time and because they aren't updated it wont work but fear not the TV will still work, you will just need to buy 1 of the previously mentioned items.
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    DCFC79 said:
    You shouldn't buy a TV based on what apps it has, buy yourself a Firestick or a Roku stick (other options are available eg Now TV box stick), these both have catchup services but you will need to check both to see which fits your needs.
    Problem with buying a TV is the apps could in theory not be updated in 2 years time and because they aren't updated it wont work but fear not the TV will still work, you will just need to buy 1 of the previously mentioned items.
    The main differences are that Now TV is not on the Firestick, Amazon video is not on the Now TV stick and Britbox is not on the Roku or the Now TV stick.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Don't buy from Currys , atrocious back up If problems. Buy from richer sounds or John Lewis for the free extended warranty.

I have 3 LG TVs , regular operating system and app updates . 

Amazon prime , Netflix , Disney plus , nowtv and all the UK on demand apps all available.
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What Browntoa said. JL and RS will price match if not already cheaper, and you'll get a minimum five year warranty. 
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • SteveOk
    SteveOk Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    DCFC79 said:
    I believe that all TVs today have the same apps. Netflix, YouTube, Amazon ... What more do you need? The software of the Tv is important. Android from Sony runs very well
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    SteveOk said:
    Android from Sony runs very well
    I find my Sony very frustrating. Every now & then I have to unplug the power lead then reconnect to get the catch up services to work properly.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • DCFC79
    pphillips said:
    DCFC79 said:
    The main differences are that Now TV is not on the Firestick, Amazon video is not on the Now TV stick and Britbox is not on the Roku or the Now TV stick.
    No way, I never knew that.
    Yes of course Im aware of that.
    I gave the OP some options where the apps will still be useable.
    If they disregard that advice then up to them.
  • DCFC79
    SteveOk said:
    DCFC79 said:
    I believe that all TVs today have the same apps. Netflix, YouTube, Amazon ... What more do you need? The software of the Tv is important. Android from Sony runs very well
    Yes I know TVs have the same apps, well some might have a little variation.
    I wasn't disputing about the apps.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure