We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is it still worth switching from Santander 123 to the Lite version?

Options

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm wondering if Marcus will be following suit. I don't think I can be bothered moving money for a couple of quid if the second rate will go down too.  
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 May 2020 at 12:44PM
    Options
    I'm wondering if Marcus will be following suit. I don't think I can be bothered moving money for a couple of quid if the second rate will go down too.  
    NS&I income bond doing 1.15%. Government probably need extra money?

I don't put all my saving in Marcus. Just in case.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 5 May 2020 at 12:47PM
    Options
    Cisco001 said:
    NS&I income bond doing 1.15%. Government probably need extra money?
    Probably?

The original sentiment was that the rate would last as long as the crisis continued. I guess though that all of the old rules will be consigned to history.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Assuming that the 1.2% in Marcus, RCI etc will continue to be available: Come August, you can make at least twice as much a year if you split your £20k into £11k savings and £9k in a 123 Lite, compared with keeping £20k in a full-fat 123. Even before then, there's a good financial case for most full-fat account holders. Whether it's good enough for you, only your can tell.

• koru
    koru Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh, I hadn't heard that. It probably tips the balance to overcome my inertia. Though perhaps Marcus will also reduce again by that time.
    koru
  • wallofbeans
    wallofbeans Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi All,
    Looking at getting rid of my 123 account. The money I make it all from the interest and only a tiny ammount from the cashback. I'm tempted to keep the account in some form though, to use to switch in future and to look good as a long standing account for credit score etc. Can I keep it open somehow without fees?

• Connie
    Connie Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi All,
    Looking at getting rid of my 123 account. The money I make it all from the interest and only a tiny ammount from the cashback. I'm tempted to keep the account in some form though, to use to switch in future and to look good as a long standing account for credit score etc. Can I keep it open somehow without fees?

No, you can't.
    But if you convert it to 123 Lite you keep the same account number, etc,  so for credit score purposes it's still the same account .  Not "without fees", but reducing them from £60 to £12 per year.

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Connie said:
    Hi All,

No, you can't.
    But if you convert it to 123 Lite you keep the same account number, etc,  so for credit score purposes it's still the same account .  Not "without fees", but reducing them from £60 to £12 per year.

Yes you can.

You just "upgrade" to a Santander Everyday account, which has no fees.
  • inspectorperez
    inspectorperez Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Been with good old Girobank then Alliance & Leicester, followed by Santander for what feels like my whole adult life. Never ever had reason to criticise the service over this whole time, but feel that the time is now right to make some changes. Whittled down the balance on the 123 Current account and transferred into 123 Lite. All happened seamlessly within a 24 hour time frame and retain all the relevant data in terms of account number, PIN, standing orders, direct debits etc. The days of 3% on balances up to £20K could never be sustained I guess, but have to say very disappointed with monthly fee of £5 not being reduced following the destruction of the interest rate. At least the cash back is still available and that more than covers the cost of the monthly charges.
    I know for a fact that my adult children are following suit, so I believe if that pattern of reaction is replicated across a reasonable proportion of Santander customers, they will see a sizeable reduction in customers' funds.
  • wallofbeans
    wallofbeans Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Changed to everyday account. But I can't get them to let me move money out of it. It's been refused twice now. I had to call them and unblock it the first time, and it's just happened again. Does anyone have tips on how to get money out without this happening? I assume going into a branch and doing it the old fashioned way would work but that's not an option currently. I hate talking (waiting) to banks over the phone and just want to move my money online...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure