Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families» MoneySaving Mums

Am I spending too much on my weekly shopping?? Advice needed please

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Am I spending too much on my weekly shopping?? Advice needed please

12 replies 1.4K views
Amandaa5449Amandaa5449 Forumite
3 posts
First Post
Can I ask how much I should be spending on my weekly shopping as I think it’s too high but wanted to ask other people’s opinions.
Theres just me and my 16 month baby at home and I seem to spend around £40-£45 a week which includes nappies, toiletries and things like washing powder, toilet roll and cleaning products.
I shop at Aldi and do a weekly meal planner using up things I have in the fridge/freezer/cupboards and I cook from scratch and do batch cooking.
Im also doing Slimming World and I find their recipes involves lots of expensive vegetables and ingredients so I try to stick to the more basic recipes.
The baby eats the same meals as me - I do not cook special baby food for her.
I’m not too keen on meat and rarely buy it so I do eat a lot of vegetables and fruits. The baby loves strawberries, blueberries and raspberries and has these topped on her breakfast cereal every morning. If I didn’t top her breakfast with fruit then she would eat worryingly very little of her breakfast.
We eat a lot of fruits and natural yogurts and I seem to buy fruits frequently as in every few days especially for the baby.
Im still breastfeeding her so I know that my diet needs to good and nutritious as does hers.
 I also cook a healthy fakeaway meal every Friday & Saturday night which I have with a glass of Aldi Prosecco.
Ive done our weekly shop today and it’s come to £35 but I know in a few days I will need to buy more fruit for the baby hence taking our food bill higher.
What do you think? Is £35 reasonable for the week or should it be lower with it being just one adult and a baby??

Replies

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the question should be "am I spending too much", more "could I reduce my spending while still getting good nutritious food?" 

Presumably you've experimented with 'value' versions of everything from nappies to loo paper, and found the cheapest acceptable version?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • Amandaa5449Amandaa5449 Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    Hi yes I buy many of the Aldi essentials range such as their ‘wonky fruit’ range toilet rolls and frozen peas 
  • SootySweep1SootySweep1 Forumite
    70 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Hi
    Have a look at the Aldi frozen fruits. I particularly like the mango.
    I think it's cheaper than the fresh fruit & you can take out what you need.
    Jen
  • rach_krach_k Forumite
    2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you need to reduce it?  Some families would see what you spend as a luxury, others might see it as nowhere near enough.  

We spend around £100 per week for everything, for 2 adults and 2 children, so probably £50 for 1 adult and 1 child, and I think we're pretty thrifty, although there are some things I don't scrimp on like oat milk!

You could try your child with frozen fruits.  I usually find them much cheaper, plus they keep for longer so you don't need to shop as often (which can reduce impulse buying).  We like some frozen fruits - exotic fruits, melon, raspberries, blueberries etc are nice for smoothies or defrosted for on breakfast.  The berries don't have the same texture as fresh ones but we still like them.  We don't like defrosted strawberries though, they are just mushy horribleness.  It's a matter of trying a few things... any you don't like can be used in smoothies or made into crumble.

We use a lot of frozen veg too.  Some people can taste the difference but I find the cheaper price makes up for that, especially if you're cooking recipes rather than just plain boiled veg e.g. with chilli roasted broccoli you might not be able to tell it was frozen, whereas you would definitely be able to if you just steamed or boiled it plain (although I still like it like that!).  

Make sure you're buying the biggest tubs you can use up of things like yoghurt.  
  • SocajamSocajam Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Even if the strawberries are mushy, you can take them home, wash them and in freeze, the same for bananas (ensure to peel the skin off and place in freezer bags).
    Buy plain yoghurt and add the frozen strawberries, mango and banana
    As your baby is growing, protein is extremely important - not sure if you eat chicken, but a small piece for her.
    You can also get protein from : lentils, beans (red, black and black eye peas), split peas.  You can use them by making your own veggie burgers - make Google your friend.
    I would stay away from soy milk for the baby - do your research on that.
    As I said above, I always have frozen fruit in my freezer - mangoes, bananas, strawberries, blue berries etc.
    Cooking is an art, but at the same time you are going to have to become creative.
    For example, yesterday I made cod fish pie:  black eye peas, chick peas and butter beans sauteed in home made seasoning - place the mixed beans mixture on the bottom - next add smashed potatoes - next the cod fish mixture and finish off the top with smashed potatoes - make for 45 minutes and then place under the broiler to 10 to brown off.
    This can be eaten on its own or with a small salad.

• Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    23.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Amanda
    I can't do a link from my phone but do come and join us on the Slimming World Losing during Lockdown thread on the Health and Beauty board. We'd be happy to help you with ideas. I'd say you probably are spending a bit more than 1adult and a baby might, especially with minimal meat. 🤔
  • FireflyawayFireflyaway Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think your grocery bill sounds about right if it includes nappies and toiletries as well. I'd say spending a little bit more on fresh fruit and vegetables encouraging your baby to grow up with healthy eating habits is preferable to spending slightly less but feeding her processed cheap stuff. 
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    23.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd agree that cheap, processed food isn't the way to go. Jack Monroe might be a useful cook book to use. Especially as OP isn't a big meat eater, plenty of delicious recipes using veg and pulses. 
  • ScorpioDogScorpioDog Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Is Iceland cheaper than Aldi or lidl, I've been going to Iceland since it was Bejams, it's always been cheap and good quality, more choice than Aldi and lidl
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    23.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Iceland cheaper than Aldi or lidl, I've been going to Iceland since it was Bejams, it's always been cheap and good quality, more choice than Aldi and lidl
    I''d agree that Iceland can be good value especially since it widened its range to include more fruit and veg. BUT, it really doesn't sell the range of products that Aldi and Lidl sell and, especially considering that OP wants to eat healthily, it does sell an awful lot of junk. I think you could get by with Iceland, especially as it offers delivery which could be helpful, but definitely not the same choice as the so called discounters.