Forum Home» Energy» Water Bills

Rebate once meter fitted?

New Post Advanced Search

Rebate once meter fitted?

4 replies 71 views
cazza0104cazza0104 Forumite
18 posts
Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
I moved in to a new flat in early March and requested a water meter to be fitted as the estimate was £840 a year and I am only there for four nights a week. I live on my own there so my bill should be much, much less. Because of Coronavirus,  Thames Water have suspended metre fitting. I would like to have the bill back-dated once the metre is fitted and an average use ascertained. Does anyone know if this is likely? Thanks for your help!

Replies

• JoannaAnnaJoannaAnna Forumite
    12 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    Historically, Thames Water's policy was as follows:

"Once you’ve asked us to fit a meter, we’ll aim to do so within 50 calendar days. After your meter has been fitted, 
    you will be charged on the water recorded by your meter plus a fixed charge straight away. You will receive your 
    first metered bill within six months of the meter being fitted. 
    If we don’t fit your water meter within 50 calendar days, you’ll only pay fixed charges from the date we received 
    your request, to the date we actually fit your meter. You’ll then be charged for your future water and wastewater 
    services based on meter readings."

This would usually mean that you still have to pay the pro rata'd Rateable Value charge (£840/yr in your case) for the period up until your meter is fitted. Thereafter you'd pay metered charges which are likely to be cheaper from what you've said.
    If they took longer than 50 calendar days, you wouldnt pay the RV charge for that period, just metered fixed charges (about £80-90/yr).

The coronavirus lockdown means lots of meter fittings will be on hold. Not sure if this affects their policy on billing in this situation. Youd probably need to ask. Call centre will be short handed atm, so best send an email to query.
  • cazza0104cazza0104 Forumite
    18 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks so much. I have rung them and they have told me that they can only charge us from when a meter is fitted . This could be months so we will be paying RVC for months! It seems they will be making an enormous amount of money from people in the same situation! 
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cazza0104 said:
    Thanks so much. I have rung them and they have told me that they can only charge us from when a meter is fitted . This could be months so we will be paying RVC for months! It seems they will be making an enormous amount of money from people in the same situation! 
    Given the way water companies are financed they will not make any extra money by delaying switching from RV charges. Put simply water companies are authorised by the Regulator to to raise £xxxmillion in revenue, and make £yymillion profit provided they meet certain targets. Thus any extra revenue raised from your situation will result in a reduction elsewhere.

• freeshafreesha Forumite
    133 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Of course you will get a rebate of anything you have 'overpaid' on RV up to the date your meter is fitted.