having a dabble

hi all,

after great advice on here i started my investment journey with vls 80. I have been interested in L&G's global tech and healthcare indexes for a little dabble (max of 50 per month) but can't pay into both s and s ISA's - are there similar funds on vanguard that i could take a look at / others people recommend looking at?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You need to be on a whole of market platform.   That way can you access all fund houses.  
    Vanguard has nothing of that nature.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Alistair31
    Alistair31 Posts: 945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You could invest outside of ISA ? 
  • dd95
    dd95 Posts: 213 Forumite
    that't true, its unlikely that a small monthly investment will be subject to CGT or dividend tax anytime soon!
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    On tiny amounts such as £50 I wouldn't bother, it really isn't going to make any difference. Probably not what you want to hear but it is the fact of the matter
  • dd95
    thanks coldiron, any feedback (positive or not) is more than welcomed. Would you therefore suggest putting the extra 50 in my vls80?
  • ColdIron
    edited 30 April 2020 at 11:26PM
    That would make sense to me. At the start of your investment journey it is very tempting to meddle, or dabble as you say, sometimes it's irresistible. I do like the L&G Healthcare and Pharma fund, it's 10% of my growth portfolio. It may be worth considering once your investments are considerably larger but you would need to move away from Vanguard Investor, would it be worth it? I don't know if Vanguard have similarly focused funds or ETFs, perhaps someone will come along with some ideas. Although as I say it won't make much difference, as long as the sums are small, it probably won't do much harm either
  • dd95
    thanks very much, although as you say I'm at the start of my journey i feel im a lot more 'switched on' than three months ago. Just trying to read and absorb as much as possible so thanks for your input 
  • ColdIron
    dd95 said:
    that't true, its unlikely that a small monthly investment will be subject to CGT or dividend tax anytime soon!
    But you would need to keep accurate records to prove it if challenged
  • dd95
    ColdIron said:
    dd95 said:
    But you would need to keep accurate records to prove it if challenged
    what is the situation with the tax payment then? Do HMRC reclaim it automatically/notify you if the tax is due or is it your responsibility to inform them?
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 April 2020 at 11:08PM
    dd95 said:
    thanks very much, although as you say I'm at the start of my journey i feel im a lot more 'switched on' than three months ago. Just trying to read and absorb as much as possible so thanks for your input 
    If you want to dabble in non Vanguard funds then you could pay an extra 0.10% platform fee and transfer the ISA to Cavendish or use a general investment account as you might not be paying tax on small amounts anyway but as above you would need to keep track of them and inform HMRC as appropriate for your situation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback