Broken 3k Laptop scan.co.uk

Options
reginaldh
reginaldh Posts: 7 Forumite
First Post
edited 30 April 2020 at 8:15PM in Consumer rights

Purchased very expensive 4k MSI gaming laptop from SCAN.CO.UK, cpu fan failed shortly after with very little use. Was told by 'Guy S' at scan returns that it was a simple fan fix and wouldn't take long. I explained to 'Guy S' i had 2TB of data on it and all my work that i needed back before end of month, i was assured it wouldnt take long to fix a fan. I then called with RMA number 1 week later for an update, 'Guy S' then told me they had looked at it and could not repair the fan and he said they had sent it to MSI for repair, I have sent emails requesting MSI RMA number for 3 more weeks so i could chase up the repair and get an update, no reply to any of my emails requesting it. I called 'Guy S' after 4 weeks who told me he would send me the RMA details for MSI repair by end of day. No email ever came. I then called MSI repair team again and asked them to chase it up with scan, Dave was very helpfull and chased it up and called me back and said that scan had not looked at the laptop or sent it to MSI and had left it sat at scan for the last 4 weeks after i was told MSI had it and spent over 8 hours contacting MSI trying to get an update on the repair. Guy S then quickly got an MSI RMA number and tried to send it quickly to MSI for repair after all those weeks of it sat there with me chasing it up.

SCANdalous behaviour from SCAN returns despite purchasing many systems from them over the years and never buying components from any other supplier except scan.

PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE MSI LAPTOPS FROM SCAN AND SEND THEM THERE FOR REPAIR, YOU WILL ONLY END UP IN A WORLD OF PAIN AND LIES AND MISERY.

Also they will not send you the broken item back so you can get your data off it as they do not care about the customer needs as they once did only making money now, something has changed at scan and they are not as they once were

{Text removed by Forum Team} will not respond to emails regarding sending back broken laptop so i can retrieve the data needed desperately by end of month which is today

Comments

• NCC-1707
    NCC-1707 Posts: 348 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why not use your 'backup'?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I like Scan, always buy from them and will continue to do so. Great service and prices. 
  • sinar
    sinar Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It’s a shame you could afford to pay £3,000 for a laptop but not £60 for an external hard drive, or use a cloud back up service.
  • Spank
    Spank Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It's a shame you don't have a backup reginaldh because theres a chance they might wipe your drive and reinstall Windows
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    They are all the same, great when there are no problems but when there is a problem they show their true colours.

All the years I have been buying tech for business and pleasure none have ever really had a smooth process when things go wrong. I have to say things haven't gone wrong much for me but on the odd occasion it did returns were a PITA, usually expensive items which have always taken weeks to resolve, mostly not even in my favour. 

I have blacklisted most of them now and tend to use Amazon (who have never let me down yet with the odd return here and there)  with the odd thing from Ebuyer as I have never had the pleasure of their returns procedure yet, so that's a problem for another day.

But Sinar is right, if you have important things on your devices then it's not rocket science to back it up, it's common sense really.
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have trusted them with 2TB of your own data, with no backup?! 
    That's absolutely bonkers, there's a good chance that as part of standard procedure MSI will wipe it - it was part of the repair policy at a large retailer I used to work at. 

3 grand for a laptop and nowhere to back up data... madness 
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I’m just guessing here but I would suggest that they are running a skeleton staff due to the lockdown. 
    I would also suggest that Scan will read this thread and you may find Guy S even less helpful, especially as you are insulting people in the north. 

Personally If I was Guy I would be dragging my feet now even more and you wouldn’t get this laptop back for months 😀
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is Reginald old enough to be buying laptops?  He sounds like a spoiled child. 

reg son, get your parent, guardian or carer to deal with this for you.  They should be able to deal with it more maturely than you and be able to deal with people in a more civil manner.  Perhaps a Nintendo would be more suitable for your age?
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    reginaldh said:
    backing up my data is not really a problem or an issue, its mostly 4K torrent downloads which i can download again, the problem for me are the other issues i mentioned which are too complicated for some folk to get their heads round, this is why they keep going on about backing up my torrent downloads. The fact that they lied to me and ignored me and had my laptop at scan for over a month despite telling me msi had it is the issue here, and not offering a replacement as advised or required by trading standards. It is all well and good saying scan are great but if you never had to return an item or deal with northern monkey Guy S in returns you dont really get to know what they are really like. I ordered the laptop on a saturday late afternoon and it arrived first thing sunday morning, i never would have beleived it could arrive so quick on a sunday, so it came a day early great, but it is not worth a good review as 30 days without the product and wasting 8 hrs of my time on a premium rate msi number far out ways this, their returns department is shockingly bad as they only have one northern monkey there called Guy S who has a bad attitude and lies and covers up stuff to hide this fact. better to have him sweeping up the warehouse floor and find someone more suitable to fill his position i would say, for a company like this anyway.

The rule that is good to follow is that if data isn't kept in three places then it doesn't exist, so usually one copy on the computer, one copy on an external/network drive and one copy in the cloud is what i do. This means i have never lost any important data ever.

This obviously doesn't help at all with your issue with the laptop repair but trust me you would be far less stressed about the situation if you could easily access the data you needed on another device and carry on as normal while they are messing you about. 
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As someone who advises people on laptop purchases I ask the clients the following questions
    Do you know If you buy a RTB warranty you will need to be prepared to be without your kit for a considerable length of time?
    Do you mind if other random people can look at and share your data  (Gary Glitter) ?
    Do you mind losing everything if your hard drive explodes ?
    I then advise purchasing an on site Next Business day warranty and of course having proper backups
    Funnily enough no one has ever disagreed
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure