TUI refunds thread

Options
Milo55
Milo55 Posts: 11 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 15 April 2020 at 5:10PM in Coronavirus travel help & info
HI 
We were due to fly out with TUI to Jamaica on the 17 March, TUI informed us on the 14 March the Jamaican authorities had stopped all flights into Jamaica.

We have contacted TUI on several occasions since this date all TUI are saying is we are working in date order and will get round to you, TUI owe us in access of £4000.I am now hearing TUI are trying to go to court to allow them only to give vouchers rather than return the money. 

All well and good for TUI as if this coronavirus stops and we all start traveling again they will have our money and will be in a position to raise prices knowing people cannot go elsewhere.

Comments

• pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tui dont owe you £4000 they owe you a holiday 
    I have a holiday in June booked with Tui in June and a cruise with them in July , I also have a mini cruise with PO for the 16th April , I am not expecting to hear anything yet ,  I have already spent the money , so there is no point worrying about it . In the grand scheme of things its really not that important 
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    To be honest I dont think you can blame them from trying to hold on to the money, if they refund everyone who is entitled to a refund they would probably collapse. They will probably try and hold out till the law is changed , which may not be too long and of course there are no courts to force them to refund right now, you could try your credit card company
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Because if they attempted to refund everyone they would run out of cash before they got past the first few % of the queue. Same for the whole travel industry.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Markneath said:
    Im in the same boat, I don't want a voucher for some holiday that might happen in the future when this is all over.
    I paid for a holiday at a specific time which they were unable to deliver, why should they be allowed to keep my money for another year for a possible future holiday.
    Would you rather they went bust before refunding you or getting a gtee in the form of a voucher that you would be refunded eventually ( 2 years rather than a year) assuming they get the law passed
  • anticlaus105
    anticlaus105 Posts: 475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 March 2020 at 11:58AM
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. They promised me a refund on the 16th. Now you can't contact them at all. Even the online form won't work as they have locked the departure dates, so it doesn't find your booking. At 14 days I will contact my credit card.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The answer has been given by @jimbo6977
    Because if they attempted to refund everyone they would run out of cash before they got past the first few % of the queue. Same for the whole travel industry.
  • Kit1
    Kit1 Posts: 422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know how you feel we had booked a round the world trip (not with TUI).  First time we have ever done anything like this as we have put it off for years (that's another story).  At first l just wanted my money back but they kept saying we can get a voucher and l thought no that is my money.  But now l have had time to sit down and think about it what l really want it the holiday and if it has to be next year then that is how it has to be.  Like others have said if we all get out money back they will go out of business and no-one will be able to travel.  So in the times we are facing at the moment we have to stop and think.

I hope everything works out for you and you get your holiday because l know at the end of this we are all going to need that holiday.
    Stay safe
    Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport