Lastminute.com only offering vouchers for refunds

Options
Hi all,
Was booked to go to Tokyo on April 19th and had a flight change in Beijing. The flights have been eligible for a full refund via the airline's website for at least six weeks so I called LM at the beginning of March to discuss cancelling the holiday due to FCO advice. I was told that we were entitled to a full refund due to the circumstances and they just had to confirm with the hotel. OK cool.

I received an email a couple of days ago saying the holiday is cancelled and we would be only offered a refund by way of a voucher for the full amount spent.
I have replied to them to say that this isn't good enough as we paid in cash and there are now concerns around tour operators being able to continue trading given the current climate as well as the diminished value of the voucher.

Not to mention I expect tens of thousands of other people who are now in this situation and aren't in a position, for whatever reason, to use a voucher in the next 12 months. 
 I feel that they should be offering us at least the cash value of the flights as these could have been cancelled literally months ago.
I'm not entirely sure there's anything I can do as they are offering an alternative but it just seems like a massive cash grab to be honest. I appreciate the concerns around cash flow but given yesterday's announced support I feel they should be talking to customers and at least coming to something mutually agreeable rather than this.
Any help or advice would be most appreciated!
Thanks,
Ryan

Comments

• zxof
    zxof Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry Im unable to advise but I am on similar situation.
    Apparently Emirates canceled my flights (purchased through lastminute.com) and I received an email from lastminute that they're processing a voucher as a "refund". I'm trying to get full cash refund.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm currently stuck in New Zealand. Singapore Airlines cancelled my return flight and lastminute.com emailed me to say they would be refunding me by voucher. I've had great difficulty contacting them, and when I did they were not very helpful, but my understanding is they have a duty of care to support me while I'm here. A voucher might or might not work for people who haven't travelled yet, but its of very little use on the other side of the world. It's looking increasingly likely that there are no available flights now.
  • Mach74
    Options
    I have been in contact with Love Holidays who said guidance from ABTA are only able to offer vouchers or book another holiday some other time
    Surely cannot be right?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My holiday earlier this month was cancelled because of Flybe collapse so nothing to do with coronavirus. There wasn't much time (flying about 5 days after the collapse) but lastminute didn't offer another carrier (although they had flights for sale on their site). As it's ATOL protected they offered me a voucher or cash refund on 8th March. I chose cash and 15 days is up today but haven't heard anything. I suspect they may be dragging their feet, hoping that the government introduce retrospective legislation to force vouchers. 
    I'm finding it impossible to contact lastminute. Their website just gives a phone number where there's a recorded message but no option to talk to anyone. Any ideas how I can contact them?
  • ashandali24
    Options
    We are in a similar position with Lastminute.com who are refusing to refund the cash and are offering vouchers as a blanket rule. This  can't  be legal?! Vouchers are of absolute no use to me! Help!
  • Claire_giraffe80
    Options
    Lastminute.com are offering me a voucher as a refund when i paid cash. I do not want a voucher i just want my money back where do i stand???
  • Claire_giraffe80
    Options
    Hi Claire,  

Thank you for your email. 

We hereby inform you that your request will not be possible.

Please be informed that the voucher you have been issued is not like the former vouchers Last Minute has issued to its customers due the emergency situation present the last few days.

Your understanding regarding this matter is highly appreciated. 

We remain at your disposal for further queries. K
    ind Regards, 
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would you tell me how you're exchanging information with last minute? I'm trying to chase a promised refund which wasn't caused by coronavirus (Flybe). I realise it's the same coffers they're trying to protect but I'd just like to be able to contact them. I keep hearing advice in the media about 'contact your travel company' but I'm finding it impossible. 
  • Claire_giraffe80
    Options
    Via email had a sudden few then nothing.  Its been horrendous trying to contact them   ive emailed used the portal and called now they are offering my vouchers !!!
    Im furious...
  • Claire_giraffe80
    Options
    We are in a similar position with Lastminute.com who are refusing to refund the cash and are offering vouchers as a blanket rule. This  can't  be legal?! Vouchers are of absolute no use to me! Help!
    Let me know of you get anywhere and vice versa ...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback