Forum Home» Budgeting & Bank Accounts

MSE Poll: How much are your typical monthly bills? - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

MSE Poll: How much are your typical monthly bills?

15 replies 1.8K views
2»

Replies

• Indout96Indout96 Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The largest proportion of that group of bills for most people, is Council Tax . For instance its 65 % of mine! And its gone up by 4.9%, like most households this year. So I imagine most people's bills in this group will have gone up regardless of covid 19
    Our council tax went up £15 / month but our Gas/Electric went down £20 / month as we moved supplier. We are both still working so no changes to amount of Gas / Electric used, only change is I cancelled Amazon Prime and started Netfix so that went up £1
    total saved £4 / month but I answered remained the same as I don't feel that is enough to sway the results.
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
  • Oasis1Oasis1 Forumite
    505 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Say you live with housemates, is this the bills per person, or as a household?

• edited 3 May at 10:58AM
    MisterMotivatedMisterMotivated Forumite
    375 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 3 May at 10:58AM
    Broadband - before, £0, after, £25
    council tax - before, £0, after, £87
    electricity, gas - before, £0, after, £42
    home phone - before, £0, after, £0
    mobile phone, before, £11, after, £11
    TV (licence and subscriptions), before, £0, after, £26
    streaming services, before, £0, after, £0
    water, before, £0, after, £0
    As I was living with family between moves, but have now bought another house, my answers are largely meaningless.
  • JES_F1JES_F1 Forumite
    706 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    As others have said, I'd expect all mine to pretty much stay the same.  Council tax increased anyway.  Electricity will probably go up a bit but won't know about that for a while. Food bill is bigger but probably balances out with what I would have spent on lunch at work and meals out.
    Debt Jan 2008: £45,566. *** June 2013: DEBT FREE! ***
    Paid back just under £50,000 due to some interest added.

Dealt with my debt through a Step Change
    (CCCS) DMP.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread Member #240.
  • itinerantitinerant Forumite
    6 posts
    Name Dropper First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    How about service/maintenance charges for those of us who have a leasehold flat? Those surely belong to the bills category. 

It's an interesting poll, it looks like my bills amount, with service charges included, is at £370, which corresponds to the most common/modal range (£300-400) in my category of single parents with kids. However this amount doesn't include various insurances e.g. home insurance and mortgage insurance which for me are essential bills. Those take me to £430, which is the next band up.