This time I'm sticking to it!

Options

Comments

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I like the idea of you clearing your smallest card if they are all 0%. Can you repay them all before the deal runs out? I accelerated my payments massively by tackling one card at a time. I started with something like 10-12 debts and am now down to 3.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • DancingInTheRain
    DancingInTheRain Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I'd also pay it off the smallest balance, one card off the list will give you a real boost 🙂
  • Mumoffourkids
    Mumoffourkids Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’m agree with paying the smallest one if they are all on 0%. The motivation of clearing one card completely will keep you going. 
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Definitely save some for an EF but as long as the 0% aren’t ending soon on the big one, get it paid off the small one. Also look at the end date of your cards for 0% and see how much you are paying. If you’re paying over the minimum, I’d round up (so £87.50 repayment becomes £90 for example) and put any extra that may have been going to those cards to the smallest ones to get them paid off sooner. 

Well done on saving so much and still getting the garden done. 
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    As all your CCs are on 0% then I would suggest paying it off the one which finishes first which is how I suspect the Snowball calculator would work it out!  But if you think you'd be more motivated by having the smallest one paid off in a few months then that may well be the best thing for you!

• rdone
    rdone Posts: 569 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!  I have no idea when the two bigger cards end, probably something I need to look up, it doesn't seem to be on the apps so will try and log in online and find out.  I'm sure when I took them out I knew I'd need to balance transfer before I managed to pay them off.  So maybe it's best to put everything towards one of them and keep paying the smaller one at the same rate.

The smaller card (HSBC) will be paid off in December which is way before the deal ends so that's okay.
    As I have no idea to the Sainsbury's and Virgin cards I'm thinking it would be best to pay the extra off one of them so that either it's gone by the time we need to balance transfer or it's a smaller amount so the fee will be less.

I have a week or so to work this out (don't want to do it until my bills have gone out in case I've worked things out wrong).  And I'll probably change my mind everyday!
    My debt free diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6348513/large-renovation-tiny-budget-lets-go/p1?new=1

Debt: £14,896.33 @ 21/04/2020.
    Down to: £4,982.12 @ 08/06/2022
    Today: £14,256.23
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well that was certainly honest. It does help a lot to know when they are due. I think if you can get one cleared and gone it will help with your motivation to tackle the rest.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • rdone
    Options
    I've messaged Sainsbury's as I couldn't see it online and when I tried to open the credit agreement it crashed.
    I couldn't log in online to Virgin for some reason so have tweeted them to ask.

Definitely something I'll want to know I'm thinking...!
    My debt free diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6348513/large-renovation-tiny-budget-lets-go/p1?new=1

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    On my Sainsbury CC statement it shows when the 0% runs out near the bottom.  Have you checked an old statement to see if you can see it?

• rdone
    Options
    You are a genius @joedenise - thank you!

Okay, so Sainsbury's is 20/10/2021 and Virgin 09/08/2021.  And I've put them in my calendar and set reminders so I can move if needed before the time is up.

I know paying the smaller one off will have it's benefits but as I know it will be paid off well within the time frame and before the end of the year I'm not bothered by it.  

My plan is:
    Keep paying HSBC @ £150, last payment December
    Keep paying £100 into virgin
    Pay £150 and any extras into Sainsburys (along with the £150 HSBC payment from January).  My thinking is that this is the smaller amount of the two biggest cards and has the longest to pay.  So I have the best chance of paying it off before the deal ends and then I don't have to pay a fee.

Even though mentally it would be great to get rid of the HSBC card in a couple months, financially this makes best sense.  And as long as I have a plan that I can reason then I'm happy and the HSBC card won't bother me.
    My debt free diary

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family