Pet insurance quote for a new puppy. Current weight or anticipated final weight for quote??

Options
fantasyvsreality
fantasyvsreality Posts: 96 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 27 April 2020 at 3:39PM in Pets & pet care
Hi all, I am insuring our new lurcher puppy but when it asks me what weight is the dog do I give the weight he is now ?? a growing pup or the estimated fully grown weight? Apologies if a stupid question. 

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't remember ever being specifically asked that, but they tend to want to know what size/breed the dog will end up as, as the giant breeds (for example) can be more costly due to the impact of their weight than your bog standard jack russell. More impact on the joints, more expensive to anaesthetise etc. 
     So my suggestion would be to go with the likely size for your puppy's breed if known. Or phone up and ask them if you're looking at specific insurers. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If insuring a crossbreed/mongrel they do sometime ask for the weight to establish whether it is a small crossbreed or a large one. Lurchers  can vary in size depending on what   cross they are.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback