Blue coin cards containing a Brilliant Uncirculated 50p, what do you consider a fair price to pay?

Options
2»

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Two others, so far, think it's canned meat.
    It's a 50p coin, therefore worth 50p!
    I am happy to add 50p the the list of options - I am not for or against collector quality Brilliant Uncirculated coins being sold, I would just like to see a price that does not take advantage of the people who want to collect because there is only one seller of the product and no price competition. Like the Competition and Markets Authority, I want to see competition for the benefit of consumers.

You can't force a company to set up business in competition with the only (current) seller.
    You can't force a company to advertise an item at a price that you feel is appropriate.
    Buy. Or don't buy.
    It really doesn't matter what random strangers on t'interweb think is a reasonable price so your poll is of no use.
    The price is the price.

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 24 April 2020 at 4:01PM
    Options
    why should there be multiple retailers and pricing options. If you don’t like the price don’t buy.
    Yes, not to buy is the other option - but many coin collectors want to hold a full collection, so buy even though the cost is a concern to them. The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is a government body that considers more than 1 seller to be a good thing for consumers
    So complain to the CMA then. However be aware that not every "market" has the demand to support multiple sellers. I'd imagine that coin collecting is fairly niche.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd happily buy this for £84,500 but not a penny more.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/beatrix-potter/mrs-tittlemouse/
    £10 when they were in stock?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B07D3W6BB8/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
    £7.49-£19.99
    https://www.westminstercollection.com/p-143T/2018-UK-Mrs-Tittlemouse-CERTIFIED-BU-50p.aspx
    £7.50 (£4.99 + £2.50 postage  :D)

Or you could buy from ebay (though most are circulated), ranging from a fiver to £65.....

As has already been said, they are worth what you or other people are willing to pay for them.

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    why should there be multiple retailers and pricing options. If you don’t like the price don’t buy.
    Yes, not to buy is the other option - but many coin collectors want to hold a full collection, so buy even though the cost is a concern to them. 
    Well then, they either pay the going rate or go without. If they voted with their feet and didn't purchase, the price would come down. It is hardly a matter of national importance, especially in the current circumstances  
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Paully28
    Paully28 Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    50p
    bit more text
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts