New Post Advanced Search

Electric heating vs. infrared heating

5 replies 82 views
psimonpsimon Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Hello, everyone,

I would like to know your experience in electric heating and infrared heating. I live in a 70 m² apartment in an old building with 3 meters ceiling height. From the landlord the only built-in heating possibility is electric radiators, which are simply plugged into the socket (no night storage heater).

With this heating method it is impossible and very expensive to heat the apartment. Now I have heard that infrared heating could be a good alternative and I would like to hear your opinion.

Greetings Simon

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is Oil LPG section.
  • HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    psimon said:
    Hello, everyone,

I would like to know your experience in electric heating and infrared heating. I live in a 70 m² apartment in an old building with 3 meters ceiling height. From the landlord the only built-in heating possibility is electric radiators, which are simply plugged into the socket (no night storage heater).

With this heating method it is impossible and very expensive to heat the apartment. Now I have heard that infrared heating could be a good alternative and I would like to hear your opinion.

Greetings Simon
    Hi Op as stated this is the wrong part of the forum to post. You will get more advice by clicking on the big black ENERGY heading. That deals with electric. Oh and do not say meters there as someone will correct you LOL
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Kitchen_SinkKitchen_Sink Forumite
    230 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    psimon said:
    Hello, everyone,

Greetings Simon
    Heat produced by electricity will cost about the same no what type of heat it is.
    All electrical heaters are almost 100% efficient.

The main difference with infrared heating is that is is intended to heat you, rather than the room. It's an option often used commercially, especially in the large DIY sheds etc, as heating such a vast area in a poorly insulated building would cost a fortune.

Not sure it is particulary suited to domestic use, not as the sole source of heating. Those damp & cold clothes from that damp & cold wardrobe will not be nice to put on, neither will sitting in that damp & cold sofa.

So save your money, don't waste it on more heaters for this flat, and hopefully you will be able to move soon to a place with more affordable space heating.

If you cannot find anywhere with gas heating (many apartments are electric only) then at least choose one where the landlord has looked after his tenants by providing heating designed to maximise use of low cost, E7 electricity.
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum.
    I appreciate you are new to the forum, but if you do a search for Infrared heating on this forum you will find hundreds of posts on the subject.
    Kitchen_sink in the post above has summed up the situation nicely; IMO they are not really suited for domestic heating.

• edited 23 April at 6:40PM
    Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 April at 6:40PM
    Unfortunately you've made three big expensive mistakes.
    • No gas.  The cost of electricity is far more expensive than gas so there's no quick fix.
    • No storage heaters.  Economy 7 isn't cheap, but full price daytime electricity is even more expensive, probably five times per kWh the cost of gas.
    • High ceilings in a poorly insulated building.
    The only realistic answer is to move ASAP.