Forum Home» Health & Beauty MoneySaving

Intermittent fasting one meal a day

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Intermittent fasting one meal a day

22 replies 1.7K views
jinnyjinny Forumite
1.9K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
Hi Would anyone be interested in an Intermitent fasting thread?  I had some good results last year with this way of eating.  However since lockdown i have put on so much weight snacking all day mainly biscuits.  I felt really well doing Omad or one meal a day. I didn't count calories or cut food groups out Just ate one evening meal no starving.  Has anyone else done this or intermittent fasting. If there is already a thread please point me to this. If you have any tips or suggestions books on the subject please post. 
”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
Put on some lipstick
and pull yourself together”
- Elizabeth Taylor

Replies

• IbizafanIbizafan Forumite
    49 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts
    I don’t think anyone has added to the original 5:2 thread for ages, so it might be time for a new one. I have been doing intermittent fasting for three or four years now, usually 5:2 but after a holiday, Christmas etc, 4:3. I don’t follow it at weekends, and generally find it pretty easy, having two meals a day. Protein is the key for me, so both meals will be eggs, chicken or fish as their main component. I also go to the gym on fasting days, and even do an evening job on fast days, and I don’t feel affected by the lack of calories. I never fast on holiday, but get straight back to it on return and find the whole concept suits me, because it’s only one day and tomorrow soon comes.
  • pollypennypollypenny Forumite
    29K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've only occasionally done one meal a day, timing it for late afternoon and keeping very busy in the morning. 

We maintain the weight we lost on 5:2 with 16:8 every day. Never even think of breakfast now and eat first around 12.30 - 1pm. 
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • wewpetcomwewpetcom Forumite
    3 posts
    Photogenic First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Come on guys ... the world is about to be fun again
  • Serena03Serena03 Forumite
    193 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I would be interested the 5:2 diet really worked for me but need the motivation to get back to doing it!
    'Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about';):)
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often only eat one meal a day but am I a skinny minx? Nope

I can only maintain weight if I eat sensibly over 3 or 4 smaller meals a day
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • joyce_150joyce_150 Forumite
    10 posts
    10 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    OMAD seems hard to start and maintain. Try cutting the carbohydrates in your diet and try eating more on fruits and veg - natural antioxidants. 
  • charlielhydecharlielhyde Forumite
    12 posts
    10 Posts
    I tried the intermittent fasting, but it's tough for me... My diet is based mostly on fruits and vegetables

• josewisejosewise Forumite
    20 posts
    10 Posts
    Just eat clean, no need for such radical steps
  • savingmoresavingmore Forumite
    505 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    yes, i will join a thread like this.  There is a lot of good science behind intermittent fasting.  I am on day 12 of the 800 fast diet (Dr. Michael Mosley), and doing 16:8 time restricted fasting.  Doing well on it and eating well, two meals a day, healthy mediterranean diet.  Weight coming off, so it’s motivating.  Also with the lockdown, walking every morning with DH for 35 mins and then a second walk later on .....not out in public, so following government instructions.  happy to have company!

• hansolo2000hansolo2000 Forumite
    54 posts
    10 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Does vit c dissolved in water take you out of a fasted state?