Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families» MoneySaving Mums

My son of 26 is moving back with me how much do I charge?

New Post Advanced Search

My son of 26 is moving back with me how much do I charge?

5 replies 597 views
Shaney94Shaney94 Forumite
2 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
So currently I am working but also receiving UC to have my rent paid for but when he comes back he will be classed as a dependant and my rent will no longer be paid for I'm assuming? This would mean I would be considerably out of pocket if this is true so what I'm trying to figure out is a rate I should charge. As long as I am no worse off now I'm looking to see how much he would have to pay. As currently he has his own business which he has just started so he is making very little but it is likely to increase. He says roughly about 10k just now to possibly 20k. I read up on a topic where 200-300 is reasonable? When he was staying with me I was charging £150 monthly. So when he comes back £73 will be put on top as a dependant will be staying with me on top of me having to pay rent meaning I'm £300 out of pocket. This would mean £450 would be suitable? So I've been telling him that he is best to get his own place? I think I'm on here to ask anybody that has real clarity of UC etc and how this may effect me

Replies

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is NOT a dependent, he is another adult living in your home. 

Is there any reason not to charge him half the rent, half the utilities, half the food? 

I'm afraid I don't know what effect his return will have on your claim for UC, and I can't follow your sums at all. 
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • FireflyawayFireflyaway Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are calculators online that will let you know how this will impact on your UC. Essentially he would be a lodger if he is paying. Is that allowed in your tenancy?  Start by seeing how much it would cost to rent a room in a house in your area. If you need more than that, your son might want to pay less by renting a room rather than living with you. However I'm sure you would cook and do laundry so the deal might be better if he stayed with you! 
  • edited 21 April at 1:42PM
    Martin_the_UnjustMartin_the_Unjust Forumite
    286 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 21 April at 1:42PM
    Work out how much your total housing cost will be, including food, gas, electric, rates etc etc, divide it by two and there's your answer.
    Just think, if you are the type of person who would snitch on someone for breaking quarantine, you are also the type of person who would have snitched on Anne Frank.
  • SistergoldSistergold Forumite
    513 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Savvy_Sue said:
    He is NOT a dependent, he is another adult living in your home. 

Is there any reason not to charge him half the rent, half the utilities, half the food? 

I'm afraid I don't know what effect his return will have on your claim for UC, and I can't follow your sums at all. 
    My understanding is she will stop getting rent support if he moves in. I think it’s best your son stays by himself unless he will pay all that you will lose and also his feeding expenses. He is an adult so not there to cause stress on your finances. Just give him the full information of your financial loss and spell out your expectations. It’s best if he goes and shares with other people especially if you are already not in a financially privileged position. 
    Initial mortgage balance £487500,
    Mortgage start date first week of July 2019,
    Mortgage term 23yrs(end of June 2042🙇🏽‍♀️), 
    That’s 8418 days 😒
    Mortgage payments 15 out of 276
    Target is to pay it off in 10years(by 2030🥳). 
    MFW start April 2020 mfw#136
    £12K in 2020 challenge #148
    To save £100K in 48months start 01/07/2020 @£13570 SoFar
    Am a single mom of 4. 
  • edited 21 April at 4:46PM
    silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    41.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 April at 4:46PM
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/non-dependants
    Suggests a deduction of £75.15 a month for a non-dependent.

Same quoted on this site and says it applies for the housing element of UC:
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Universal-Credit-housing-costs/Housing-costs-contributions
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.