Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

We want to extend and raise our roof on our garage which is shared.

New Post Advanced Search

We want to extend and raise our roof on our garage which is shared.

2 replies 110 views
We bought an ex council house a year ago and have slowly been do it up over the last year (it was completely gutted back to bare bones).  We are now getting to the point of sorting the garden and garage out and have plans to extend the garage to the back of the garden ( another 3/4 foot squared) and raise the roof slightly so that it looks like half a pitched roof.

Our neighbours garage is connected to ours via the roof and the guttering down pour is on our side but it will need cutting in half and a new down pour put in on their side.  We are more than happy to pay for the additional works to make sure their garage is water tight and put in new guttering etc, however our problem lies with that the property is rented and the only way to contact the landlord is through the estate agents.  

We've contacted him this way before regarding a car port that overhangs our boundary and has old single glazed broken windows in that open onto our property, which at the time were being opened onto our brand new car. So we asked him if we could take the windows down and replace with a trellis fence, which we were told no, end off. 

So before I approach him again regarding the garage roof, where can I go for legal help/guidance, or where do I stand in this?  We are trying to upgrade our property and its becoming difficult every time we need to do anything that may involve this landlords property.

Thank you for reading, this is our first home together so its all a bit new and daunting at times.


  • edited 19 April at 9:52PM
    DOH_aDOH_a Forumite
    144 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 April at 9:52PM
    What kind of legal advice are you trying to obtain?

    From a Planning point of view, you would more than likely have to serve notice on the neighbour as your proposals do also involve the adjoining property. By having to serve notice means the landlord will be notified and if objects could cause you a few issues with the overall determination of the application.

    Once you have dealt with the Planning side of things and prior to going through to Building Regulations, you would also need to consider the requirements under the Party Wall Act. That too will involve serving notice on the adjoining property owner and an agreement made between both parties.

    I think the only thing you can do is to just word any letter carefully and express you would be looking to absorb the costs. To make this part a little easier, I’d suggest not mentioning about having to re-locate the rainwater pipe from your side to theirs and therefore given them more reason to raise concern.
  • HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Op. Since your post has nothing to do with Floods and Storms. LOL. You might get more advice in the main board                               In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support