New Post Advanced Search

Vet prescription

15 replies 518 views
Hi,
I cancelled by cat policy.  £270pm- no thanks!
She gets a blood pressure medication Amodip.    I am being told the vet can charge for issuing this and they think it's £13.  They also say the vet can decide to have the cat in as and when they please. So every month in. 

New to me- never realised vets done this just always seen them use stock.          Do they have to by law offer this rather than just give out medication?
thanks

Replies

• elsienelsien Forumite
    23.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vets need to see the animal at intervals to ensure that the medication is still suitable,  working etc. In exactly the same way as our GP insists on us coming in every 6 months for a review before issuing another load of repeats. 
    There is discretion for individual vets to decide how often they be need to see the pet for it to be "under their care" but I think every 3 months has been mentioned on here before as an average, 
    More info on the RCVS website or gov.uk if you want to read the guidance yourself.  
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • RedredrobinRedredrobin Forumite
    127 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic
    My vet wants to see muttly every three months , im just about to order his meds online for the first time however as I requested two months supply they are charging me for two scripts is this normal practice ?

• donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Delilah has kidney problems and when first caught with blood tests I had to bring her every two months for a blood test three years later she goes every 3-4 months and the nurse can do it which means no consulation fee but twice a year the vet must see her.
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    My vet wants to see muttly every three months , im just about to order his meds online for the first time however as I requested two months supply they are charging me for two scripts is this normal practice ?
    It seems to be for some vets
  • edited 18 April at 4:49PM
    mac.dmac.d Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 18 April at 4:49PM
    They will charge for each separate item of medication, but unless it's a controlled drug, you should be able to ask them to provide a prescription that allows you to reorder at least once, as the prescription can be valid for up to a period of six months. It will vary depending on the vet, and in my experience, they are never that keen to do so, but should if asked at least give you one that can be repeated at least once. As elsien has explained, they will need to see your pet to check how they are doing on the medication before giving you another prescription.
    127 posts
    Although they charged me for two prescriptions what i received was one with 60 tablets on it . Is this normal ?

8.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
     How long does that last- one month or two.
    Your vet may have given you one prescription for each month and the pharmacy will send the second one out  when it is due.
    127 posts
    I usually buy 30 tablets a month , I received one prescription for 60 tablets but was charged for 2 prescriptions, is this normal ? 
    His dosage Is 3/4 Of a tablet so the 60 tablets will actually last 80 days . Buying this way saves me approximately £70 over the 80 days !

8.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vets make their own charge for writing a prescription so there is no normal. That may be normal for your vet. 
  • MufferMuffer Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    My Vet used to charge me £9.00 for a prescription for 30 tablets, but when I asked for a scrip for 60 tablets the charge went to £17.50! (£8.50 for changing a single number on a piece of paper, from a 3, to a 6!!! Surely, this is just ripping pet owners off.
    I'm clearly in the wrong game.