Nationwide Building Society Loyalty!

Options
Nationwide are massively cutting their savings rates from May. Account such as Loyalty Saver (currently 1.1%) and Loyalty Single Access (currently 1.4%) reduced to a measly 0.25%. So much for loyalty! 

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,254 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Already covered here: 

See link to press release in MDMD's post @ 2.29 (I wish they'd bring back post numbering!)

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6125971/nationwide-cutting-5-rate/p1
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 April 2020 at 3:39PM
    Options
    The Nationwide have to lend the money out to sustain savings rates. Not a one way street. 
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    newatc said:
    Nationwide are massively cutting their savings rates from May. Account such as Loyalty Saver (currently 1.1%) and Loyalty Single Access (currently 1.4%) reduced to a measly 0.25%. So much for loyalty! 
    The BOE base rate is now 0.1%, so why do you believe that 0.25% is still not rewarding loyalty?
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    newatc said:
    The BOE base rate is now 0.1%, so why do you believe that 0.25% is still not rewarding loyalty?
    Because the BOE rate fell by 0.25% and Loyalty ISA by 1.15%. Ok the 1.4% was a good rate but to go down by such a margin and reduce to same as non-Loyalty accounts clearly indicate that the word loyalty means nothing to them. They are of course a mutual which means members (particularly long serving ones) should expect to have rates near to the market leaders which they are not.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    newatc said:
    newatc said:
     They are of course a mutual which means members (particularly long serving ones) should expect to have rates near to the market leaders which they are not.
    Market leaders may need the funds. They come and go. 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    badger09 said:
    Already covered here: 

See link to press release in MDMD's post @ 2.29 (I wish they'd bring back post numbering!)

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6125971/nationwide-cutting-5-rate/p1
    You can still link to individual posts as the date/time stamp in each one's header is an active copyable URL, so, for example, the post you refer to is https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/77022732/#Comment_77022732
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    newatc said:
    reduced to a measly 0.25%. So much for loyalty! 
    Massively beats the 0.01% TSB will be paying on most accounts from July
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have always been reasonably loyal to Nationwide ( mutual rather than evil bank ) but this cash isa cut from 1.4% to 0.25% is excessive . Aldermore bank offering 1.35% for one year and 1.45% for two years. I am going for one of those before they disappear !
  • missymouse
    missymouse Posts: 781 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, just received letter about my account, 1 yr triple.  Frustrating,as I’d only recently opened it and such an extreme cut, not worth bothering with
    why can they pay 5% in current accounts
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport