Driving Licence renewal at 70 - preserving C1 & D1 entitlement

Options

Comments

452 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    AdrianC said:
    When you apply for a photocard renewal never ever send your old one in.
    Are you referring to the categories that went missing when some people moved from old paper licences to modern photocard ones? That was because of their record changing between systems. That is long-since completed, and everybody is on the same, new system now. If you want to know what categories DVLA think you have, look at https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence - that's what'll come back on your new photocard.
    Are you saying mistakes will no longer happen?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm saying that you're conflating a previous system-migration problem with a straightforward re-issue.

Are the categories showing on your licence record online?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When I past my test I had code 01 on my photocard, when that card expired my new one was missing code 01. Although it's no biggy to me, it shows that mistakes still happen. I'm way too young to have had an old school paper licence.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When I past my test I had code 01 on my photocard, when that card expired my new one was missing code 01. Although it's no biggy to me, it shows that mistakes still happen. I'm way too young to have had an old school paper licence.
    01 is simply "eyesight correction". I have it on mine, because I was wearing glasses on my test. It has no functional value at all - you need glasses if your eyesight doesn't meet the minimum, you don't if it does, whether or not it's on there.
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Coming up to 69. I still want to buy a tank one day and hope I get to keep category t do this when I am 70
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    castle96 said:
    Coming up to 69. I still want to buy a tank one day and hope I get to keep category t do this when I am 70

Did you pass a test for it?  I can't drive a tank on mine, I only have A,D & E, a tank is in The Excluded Group X. (Invalid carriage, road roller, vehicle steered by its tracks, motor bicycle, trolley vehicle)

I've always wanted a tank too, a centurion, but I'm thinking now I'd like a STUG III.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • castle96
    Options
    think is says "tracked vehicles", but also road rollers etc. No test, just included. When I say tank, it would be a self propelled gun, something like an Abbott, Have you seen the cost of these ! let alone a tank

• facade
    Options
    We missed the boat.  40 years ago when our parents wouldn't let us keep one, you could have bought tanks, abbotts, Humber Pigs, rusty champs & ferrets for their scrap weight. There were a few valentines about on farms too. I remember 30 odd years ago they couldn't give away LHD 101s- they were sold to take the engine & transmission out of.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

• castle96
    Options
    I've had lots of Champs. First one was £250, now they are c. £14000
  • facade
    Options
    I missed out on a champ, when I wanted one in the early 80s, they were either too rusty or the transfer box was scrap, there were quite a few in scrapyards because of the transfer box. Landrovers were better value.

Nowadays UK surplus goes to Witham, the prices are stupid, and there are a lot of parts missing.
    In The Olden Days I visited Leavesleys when they were a surplus dealer after a lightweight. The ones they had all looked like range targets, and were daft money. What I should have bought was a Unimog. They had a line of ex-German army canvas topped ones in good nick, for more than  I could afford then, but what would be an absolute gift now, even revaluing the currency to 2020 levels.

You can still buy Soviet stuff through agents, but the transport & red tape are a problem.

A tank is just a millionaire fantasy now really.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback