Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Tips for how to avoid queuing at supermarkets?

New Post Advanced Search

Tips for how to avoid queuing at supermarkets?

105 replies 10.6K views
ChomeurChomeur Forumite
1.9K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭
I hate queuing so much but even more so now that there's a risk of transmitting the virus, even if everyone does stand two metres apart. The queues outside supermarkets seem to be up to about half an hour now, and then you may have to queue up again to pay. So any suggestions for how to avoid queuing? Are the queues shorter last thing at night? I suppose there are small corner stores but I'm not that keen on them. Or maybe if I cycle to somewhere on Oxford St there might be fewer customers, since it's not really a residential area? It's not too far from where I live.
Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    47.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early morning or late at night  , I've never queued more than 10 minutes
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • comeandgocomeandgo Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get your items delivered, get someone else to do your shopping, join NHS, my daughter is front line nurse and can jump the queues, shop at your local small grocers.  
  • flashg67flashg67 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Click & collect (if you can a slot), try other sources, eg near me, a local catering supplier has opened up a click & collect for the public 
  • mark55manmark55man Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    later rather than earlier - be happy to go back if queues are big, choose your supermarket after asking aorund your friends, check local FB groups they sometimes have news about queues (although these tend to get followed up quickly)
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - 1/1/2020 - 121kg : 30/07/2020 - 107Kg - Last month 0kg
    12/19: CC:[email protected]% - Car:[email protected]% - Mort:[email protected]% = £140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2019:£16K 2020 (YTD): -£18K
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Avoid weekends, go during the day weekdays if possible, but not at lunch, early morning (outside of the special opening hours) is probably best. I've never had to queue for my supermarket yet as I avoid weekends, I haven't been to the large Tesco half a mile away, I imagine those queues are a bit bigger, but the smallish Sainsburys (about 10 aisles) never had a queue when I've been.

I guess it all depends on your area as well.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Forumite
    7.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    7pm no queue.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can be as simple as trying different shops.   Yesterday afternoon where I live:   Asda, huge queue (all the way from the front of the store to the back of the car park);  Morrisons, no queue; Sainsbury's, short, well-managed queue; Lidl: very short queue. 
    Ex Board Guide
  • roddydogsroddydogs Forumite
    7.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't think checking supermarket queues is an allowed form of exercise ( lol)
  • edited 7 April at 8:46AM
    CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 April at 8:46AM
    Discretely driving past?  I should say that the various shops are all in close proximity - not much extra driving required overall.
    Ex Board Guide
  • JessyRMJessyRM Forumite
    55 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I've not queued once, I generally do my shopping after work on a Monday at Aldi but went to Asda this week and it was fine. This is around 6pm/7pm.