Warning - Royal Mail items are delayed in sorting centres for 8+ weeks, no seller protection

Options

Comments

• Pierre_De_Grenoble
    Options
    My problem destination is Japan. two Int. Standards timed out ( 30 days after eBays arrival date ) that I've had to refund and a tracked that took 26 days to be delivered. I could see that it was sat in the UK until 2-3 days before delivery.
    I understand that post normally goes in the belly of a passenger flight but in the case of a country like Japan post volumes held up must be horrendous, so why isn't RM chartering a cargo flight...??
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 May 2020 at 6:07AM
    Options
    My problem destination is Japan. two Int. Standards timed out ( 30 days after eBays arrival date ) that I've had to refund and a tracked that took 26 days to be delivered. I could see that it was sat in the UK until 2-3 days before delivery.
    I understand that post normally goes in the belly of a passenger flight but in the case of a country like Japan post volumes held up must be horrendous, so why isn't RM chartering a cargo flight...??
    Well I would assume the costs are astronomical given its not 'a' flight.
    Keep in mind this is a company who has done the bare minimum for staff in a pandemic,cut a days delivery in the UK and isnt bothering with overtime or any plan to clear mail in the UK. 
    You think they will pump masses of cash into international mail when COVID19 pretty much gives them a free pass?
    When you say it was in the UK till a few days before delivery,Is it not more likely the item sat for a period of time in Japan before being scanned?
  • Pierre_De_Grenoble
    Options
    just checked..
    Tracking doesn't mention the usual comment about leaving the UK or similar just:
    Item Received by Royal Mail LANGLEY HWDC (4th April)
    Item Received KAWASAKI HIGASHI, Japan (26th of April)
    Its possible that it was held in Japan, but it goes against everything I know about the place and people, which is honest, fast, courteous and efficient.
    Royal mail says:
    We're accepting letters and parcels destined for Japan, however, delays may be experienced as air connections have been severely limited. We're looking at alternative solutions to maintain service.

now I'm thinking about it 22 days could well be a container on a ship.

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,250 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whilst some of my 2nd class parcels appear to be taking 4-5 working days to arrive my large letters seem to be all over the place. Several LLs 2nd class sent yesterday have had feedback left already mentioning lightening fast delivery! 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin said:
    Whilst some of my 2nd class parcels appear to be taking 4-5 working days to arrive my large letters seem to be all over the place. Several LLs 2nd class sent yesterday have had feedback left already mentioning lightening fast delivery! 

There's limited rhyme or reason to it. On a personal note my son subscribes to a magazine that is usually delivered every Friday. We received last week's and this week's today (Thursday).

I've put my RM deliveries on hiatus for now. Partly due to fending off where's my item messages and partly to have some time off. The last week has been a roller coaster of delays and a couple of damaged letters (which is unheard of). First and second class doesn't seem to make any difference. I've had everything from next day delivery on second class to 3 and a half weeks delivery on first. Whilst I'm having a bit of a moan I will say that RM staff seem to be doing exceptional work with the vast majority of mail getting through as normal. I'm getting messages about delays and loss on about 3%, I guess I'm lucky for that to translate to quite a lot of messages. As a one man band that pushes the stress levels up a fair bit!
  • Pierre_De_Grenoble
    Options
    Just had a thank you mail for a parcel that arrived in Brazil Today. It was posted on Feb 28th!
    Blocked the whole of South America 2 months ago.
  • Pierre_De_Grenoble
    Options
    Yet again I have just been messaged by a Japanese buyer that an item worth only £28 has not arrived.
    It was posted on the 9th April by Std. Int. Airmail.
    I would really appreciate if Custardy could give some info from his in house contacts as to what is happening to mail to Japan.
    Pre Covid I would never hesitate to send anything of any value to Japan untracked. In 20 years of eBaying I had never had a problem.
    I am convinced this is because of Royal Mail and it would be nice to have some knowledge of what Royal Mail is actually doing for mail to Japan
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,250 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RM still have their warning in place on International deliveries including Japan

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5317/~/international-incident-bulletin

Japan

Start date: 11 March 2020
    Latest Update: 
    End date: Ongoing
    Incident: Coronavirus

We're accepting letters and parcels destined for Japan, however, delays may be experienced as air connections have been severely limited. We're looking at alternative solutions to maintain service.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Pierre_De_Grenoble
    Options
    It would be nice to know what RM's "alternative solutions" are.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Im confident RM wont be chartering flights (big talks right now on drops in revenue,extra COVID19 spend,Rico going etc)
    So alternatives will be whatever existing flights they can use.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback