Forum Home » Energy

Expensive final bill from Npower (Economy 7)

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Expensive final bill from Npower (Economy 7)

13 replies 131 views
ThatsthespiritThatsthespirit Forumite
86 posts
Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Hello, we've recently moved into a 2 bed house with all electric. 
Moved electric supply to Octopus from NPower, however npower have just sent my final bill for the period between 21st Feb - 09th March (the final reading was the first reading Provided to Octopus which is correct). 
However, that period of 2 or so weeks has totalled up to £82 which seems expensive to me! My direct debit monthly estimated by Octopus has been set up at that number.
Just wanted to check I haven't got the readings the wrong way round? Apparantly for my day reading I've used 169 kwH at 21.250p and at night I've used 378 kWh at 10.109p. £5 standing charge and £4 VAT. How have I used so much more at night? Heaters go off at 10pm and come back at 6am. Is it me or are the day and night readings the wrong way round?

Replies

• Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because core (169) day rate is more expensive than (378) cheap [er] night rate per kWh
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Look at the meter to see which one is active during the day.  With E7 your night usage should be higher to gain most benefit, and that's when the immersion heater should be on.  As you seem to be using plug-in on demand electric heating, your bills will always be sky high.
    You might find single rate cheaper, do the sums.  You don't need to change the meter, many suppliers just charge the same single rate for both readings.
  • edited 28 March at 3:36PM
    HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 March at 3:36PM
    Moved electric supply to Octopus from NPower, however npower have just sent my final bill for the period between 21st Feb - 09th March (the final reading was the first reading Provided to Octopus which is correct). 
    However, that period of 2 or so weeks has totalled up to £82 which seems expensive to me! My direct debit monthly estimated by Octopus has been set up at that number.
    Just wanted to check I haven't got the readings the wrong way round? Apparantly for my day reading I've used 169 kwH at 21.250p and at night I've used 378 kWh at 10.109p. £5 standing charge and £4 VAT. How have I used so much more at night? Heaters go off at 10pm and come back at 6am. Is it me or are the day and night readings the wrong way round?
    Economy 7?
    Storage heaters?
    Do you mean the heaters turn on at 10pm and go off at 6am?
    There is a guide to run them more efficiently here: https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/how-to-run-storage-heaters-efficiently-using-economy-7/
  • frugalmacdugalfrugalmacdugal Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,
    with E7 the night/low (heaters) is supposed to come on about midnight until 7am and store up the heat at the cheap rate.
    Were you switching them off at the wall at night?
    Y'all take care now.
    happy0207.gif

• ThatsthespiritThatsthespirit Forumite
    86 posts
    Hi,
    with E7 the night/low (heaters) is supposed to come on about midnight until 7am and store up the heat at the cheap rate.
    Were you switching them off at the wall at night?
    Sorry, they aren't storage heaters they are electric heaters. At least that's what we were told !! Please don't tell me they are storage heaters haha. We've got 2 that are switched off at the wall permanently and 2 that are run on timers (6-10am then 5-9pm) which is the 'out all day' setting.
    6.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thatsthespirit you might be wrong so brand, model, and a photo of one your heaters. Additionally you might be wrong my friend. Whats the name of your tariff because what you describe in #1 had led almost all here to believe you are on E7 water + space heating.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
    6.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    storage panel convector radiant fan grannie 3 bar fire  ? Look @ your water heater does it have 2 sets top/bottom of wires going to it.
  • edited 28 March at 6:25PM
    Kitchen_SinkKitchen_Sink Forumite
    223 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 28 March at 6:25PM
    They may have done, but then it would end up costing you a lot more!
    - about £107 in total by my calculation
    Go and check the meter to see if they have made a mistake before you worry about how to contact them
  • ThatsthespiritThatsthespirit Forumite
    86 posts
    They may have done, but then it would end up costing you a lot more!
    - about £107 in total by my calculation
    Go and check the meter to see if they have made a mistake before you worry about how to contact them
    Did think this after I posted! Still seems alot. Am I to assume their standard rate is just a bit more expensive? As I say Octopus predicted my monthly costs to be £86 I think... yet I'm paying npower £82 for 2 weeks worth!
  • edited 28 March at 9:58PM
    Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 March at 9:58PM
    Thatsthespirit current E7 approx annual costs 2 bed house £1200-1500. Say about £1250pa is £104pm every month on a payment plan. Of course you use little in summer and a lot in the winter, and we are almost finished winter my friend.. Shop around get cheapest offer you can, test from all suppliers. Best of luck