Moneygivingexpert.com

Options
As an over 70 year old I am very conscious that in many ways we are very lucky.    In particular in contrast to the working population  we have guaranteed income from our pensions.  I know that very many pensioners do struggle financially but I think there are also many like us that have enough money to enjoy our lives.  At the moment when we can't go out to spend,  many of us will have more than we need.  We are not allowed to go out to provide physical help, even for our grandchildren,  at the moment but we could afford to make donations.  However I would like  to ensure that  such donations are used efficiently and directed to the most needy.  Also I don't want to be the target of scammers.  I am posting on this website because I trust Martin Lewis  and I'm hoping that the users of this forum may have sensible and useful suggestions.To get the ball rolling my suggestion would be that  as food banks are struggling at the moment I did wonder if it would be possible  to include a facility on  all the supermarket online order websites so that as we place an order for ourselves we could also  add a donation to fund food for the needy.  Maybe this is something that if  Martin suggested it the supermarkets would listen.  I'll be interested to see what other ideas you may have

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 March 2020 at 2:24PM
    Options
    grannygas said:
    As an over 70 year old I am very conscious that in many ways we are very lucky.    In particular in contrast to the working population  we have guaranteed income from our pensions.  I know that very many pensioners do struggle financially but I think there are also many like us that have enough money to enjoy our lives.  At the moment when we can't go out to spend,  many of us will have more than we need.  We are not allowed to go out to provide physical help, even for our grandchildren,  at the moment but we could afford to make donations.  However I would like  to ensure that  such donations are used efficiently and directed to the most needy.  Also I don't want to be the target of scammers.  I am posting on this website because I trust Martin Lewis  and I'm hoping that the users of this forum may have sensible and useful suggestions.To get the ball rolling my suggestion would be that  as food banks are struggling at the moment I did wonder if it would be possible  to include a facility on  all the supermarket online order websites so that as we place an order for ourselves we could also  add a donation to fund food for the needy.  Maybe this is something that if  Martin suggested it the supermarkets would listen.  I'll be interested to see what other ideas you may have
    We are in a similar situation, except that as we are in our 60s (and healthy) we can currently do our own shopping.  I do put stuff into the foodbank collection box - but as it is so difficult to get hold of staples such as pasta, UHT milk, beans, etc the box has always been very bare of late.  I've therefore been popping in sanitary protection and pet food.  It all helps.

It's a good idea - but I think on line shopping would have similar problems - ie not enough of the long life stuff that foodbanks prefer.

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 March 2020 at 4:28PM
    Options
    You could of course send financial help direct to the foodbank. Many of them will also be buying in groceries where stocks are low through donations. Plus they have vans to run in many cases, and hopefully they pay mileage to any volunteers making car deliveries. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,831 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    There are plenty of the major charities who are facing a large additional workload and are appealing for extra funds as a result of this  - examples I've seen are
    Crisis - to help the homeless, ensure they have a place to self-isolate etc

Shelter - to help those in danger of being evicted (I know the law has been changed so it's not supposed to happen but apparently it is - their current appeal cites the case of a nurse who's landlord doesn't want them to stay because they are scared of catching the virus) and they need more software licenses to enable them to handle the quatity of calls they are getting

Trussell Trust - foodbanks

• Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,178 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hospices rely on donations, their retail shops and sponsored events for their income, ours needs £18,000 a DAY. They have lost most of their income, we donate by direct debit every month and usually ignore pleas for extra donations, but made an exception this time
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • grannygas
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.  I wasn't aware of the Trussell trust so have been able to donate to them now.  Since I wrote  my original post there has been a lot of publicity about hospices needing donations so I have donated to them too  
  • gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,122 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Another one here pushing for Hospice donations, they are amazing places and still need vital funds through all of the current crisis. Even if you cant donate a bit extra, maybe think of joining their lottery scheme? xx
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport