Flights

Options
I’ve got a flight coming up in may the airline have said I could change it and pay any difference in the flight up to March 2021 how do I know when it’s going to be safe to fly also how do I know if I’m going to catch this virus and if I’m going to be still here in 2021 so why can’t the airline issue a refund 

Comments

• heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options

Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I’ve got a flight coming up in may the airline have said I could change it and pay any difference in the flight up to March 2021 how do I know when it’s going to be safe to fly also how do I know if I’m going to catch this virus and if I’m going to be still here in 2021 so why can’t the airline issue a refund 
    How do you know you wont have a heart attack and die before thenm
    How do you know you wont get run over by a bus and die before then?
    How do we know if the world will break into nuclear war before then?

See what I mean?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    why can’t the airline issue a refund 
    probably because the flight is still scheduled to operate as planned
    If you want the chance of a refund, you need to wait until the flight is cancelled by the airline
  • Dando83
    Dando83 Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How do you know you wont have a heart attack and die before thenm
    How do you know you wont get run over by a bus and die before then?
    How do we know if the world will break into nuclear war before then?

See what I mean?
    A current, known coronavirus lockdown is not comparable to the counter-examples you cite.

It's a very real possibility that governments could extend restrictions on travel and/or destinations. And even if they don't, the airlines already have to shuffle thousands of flights around. For example, when my route resumes, a mere four days before my booked travel date, it's one flight per day?  Will I get bumped?  Very likely.  So, I can't safely book hotels, car, transfers, or anything else until uncomfortably close to the travel date.

It's unfair for consumers to be in limbo about obviously at-risk flights. One can hardly plan a trip around this. If consumers want to cancel and get a full refund for any booked flights this year, they should be able to.

• Dando83
    Dando83 Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 April 2020 at 3:08PM
    Options
    Caz3121 said:
    If you want the chance of a refund, you need to wait until the flight is cancelled by the airline
    Caz3121 said:
    Too close for comfort.  In my case, that cancellation may be four days before my flight according to my airline's webpage.  
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dando83 said:
    Too close for comfort.  In my case, that cancellation may be four days before my flight according to my airline's webpage.  
    if you want a refund you need to wait for them to cancel....I had recent flights that were each cancelled 2 days before each flight...I knew I was not going to travel but I had non-refundable tickets and did not want voucher or rebook so needed to wait for the cancellations to be able to get refund.

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    @Dando83 You have woken a rather old thread to quote previous remarks and add comments.   Lots of things have changed in the month since others contributors made comments, including rules and travel restrictions.  You might be better off explaining your situation and any question again.
  • Life__Goes__On
    Life__Goes__On Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Westin said:
    @Dando83 You have woken a rather old thread to quote previous remarks and add comments.   Lots of things have changed in the month since others contributors made comments, including rules and travel restrictions.  You might be better off explaining your situation and any question again.
    Very well put
    The  advice can be different now that it was a month ago,  we are all on a learning curve, as our knowledge grows.
    New User name as MSE gave me a number in my old one.
    " I am not a number! I am a free man!"

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The OP has not been active on MSE since 30 March and may or may not have seen the initial responses.  As so many things have changed in a month I think it might be better if this particular thread was closed. @heatherw_01 @Browntoa  
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure