New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Pet insurance massive increase

6 replies 130 views
My pet insurance for a cat has went to £271 pm.  I complained they upheld but gave me £150 cheque as the jump from £80 to current was clearly distressing. Can go to ombudsman-leaflet was enclosed. 
I don't know what to do here.  She had lymphoma 3/4 years ago. nasal.  She just turned 9.     I honestly don't know what to do.   MoreThan provider.

Replies

• sherambersheramber Forumite
    7.5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not much you can do  other than pay it or cancel insurance and put money away in a separate account for future vet bills.
    No other company will cover any pre existing condition or anything that can be related to it.

The ombudsman will not deal with a complaint about premiums  as it  is considered a marketing decision.
  • QuackQuackOopsQuackQuackOops Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't pay it.
    But I don't get pet insurance....never have never will. 

• RelievedSheffRelievedSheff PPR Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly would not be paying that much. Put the money away that you were paying each month to cover any unexpected vets bills in the future.
  • edited 3 April at 11:19AM
    KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 April at 11:19AM
    It is a high amount, but even £271 a month may not get you far if you needed it after a few months, compared to the thousands of cover insurance provides.

I had a £3k diagnostic bill for my cat (after another several hundred at local vet), big bills don't always come through extensive treatment. 
  • MndMnd Forumite
    1.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Is it a month? I thought it was a lot if it was a year
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end March £6230 Annual target £24000
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Op posted pm so I took that to mean £271 monthly.