Energy supplier, possible back bill?

Hi everyone,
we had this email today from our energy supplier...

There’s a problem with your PAYG account that means you haven’t been charged correctly for your energy use. Unfortunately, this means a debt has built up on your account. 
We’re really sorry about this – here’s what we’re doing to fix it. 
We’ll fix your account on 01/04/2020
You’ll then be paying the correct amount for your energy use. Please make sure you top up before this date to avoid being disconnected. 
We’ll be in touch soon about your debt
Please don’t worry in the meantime – once we’ve fixed your account, we’ll let you know exactly how much you owe and arrange a gradual repayment plan based on what you can afford. 
You don’t need to do anything else, but if you have any questions, please give our team a call

We were not aware of this,our electricity seemed to go down but around the same time we dismantled and sold off a huge marine aquarium which was a high electricity user because of the 24/7 pumps, heaters and lighting for coral growth. We just assumed by removing the huge electricity sapper from the house it was because of this?!

Anyway, my reason for making this post is to ask if it is true that because it is their fault, we are on a smart meter and have never been obstructive to them, they can only back bill us 12 months?

If our supplier did try to back bill beyond 12 months then what are our rights?

Kind regards.

Comments

• Hi, has anybody any advice on how far we might be back billed, whats the maximum they can backbill for, 12 months?
    Thank you :)
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,249 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 March 2020 at 11:36AM
    In general terms, yes, 12 months should be the limit.
    You should pay close attention to what they do to 'fix' the account and you should be able to see what they have loaded onto the meter by way of debt recovery.
    How long ago do you think this started? If it was around the time of the tank removal that should give you a potential date?
    I would also record the current settings on your meter before they are changed, take photos of the various information screens.

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,579 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Thanks for the replies, it's actually been 3 years nearly since the tank was removed. We use a prepayment meter and my wife tops it up, she has never told how much less was put in, just that she noticed a change in how much topping up was needed, its quite sporadic with pre payment and differening months of central heating being on etc.

I will take some photos of info now, thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure