»

Lease car return cancelled

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Lease car return cancelled

20 replies 1.2K views
justsomeguy2020justsomeguy2020 Forumite
2 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi,

The lease on my car is up and was due to be collected today, but just got a text from Lex Autolease / BCA saying "due to government guidelines announced last night" they can't collect it.
Rang Lex and they say they have no idea when it will be collected and I need to keep paying for it and insuring it until they do!
Told them that car rental companies are exempt from the coronavirus restrictions, then they said it was BCA's decision not to do collections, so it's not down to them.
This could be months. If my contract is over surely I can't be forced to keep paying for it?

Any advice welcome

Replies

• edited 24 March at 4:51PM
    marlotmarlot Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 March at 4:51PM
    Car auctions were told to close - I guess BCA have extended that to include collections.
    If they continued collections, I guess they'd run out of space to store the cars.
    I'd read your contract to see if you think they have a case for further payments.
  • Nodding_DonkeyNodding_Donkey Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like Lex are trying to dodge the issue by blaming BCA but your contract is with Lex. Who they get to collect the car is their problem I would have thought.
  • justsomeguy2020justsomeguy2020 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Some Googling about BCA turn up this... www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet-industry-news/2020/03/22/coronavirus-bca-vehicle-auctions-go-online-only
    Apparently they're still going, but online only - except obviously people can still physically go and collect their car, or apparently "BCA can also organise delivery for customers, with online booking available."
    Will ring them next to see what they have to say.
  • neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    14.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

The lease on my car is up and was due to be collected today, but just got a text from Lex Autolease / BCA saying "due to government guidelines announced last night" they can't collect it.
    Rang Lex and they say they have no idea when it will be collected and I need to keep paying for it and insuring it until they do!
    Told them that car rental companies are exempt from the coronavirus restrictions, then they said it was BCA's decision not to do collections, so it's not down to them.
    This could be months. If my contract is over surely I can't be forced to keep paying for it?

Any advice welcome
    Simply tell the lease company that once the contract ends the car is their responsibility and you will not be continuing to pay for it. Make sure you end the direct debit for it.
  • mojo1mojo1 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, you don't have to pay for it, your contract has ended. Don't pay, cancel your insurance on it. If you don't cancel your insurance and it gets hit your insurance will have to pay out so make sure you do it. Don't renew the tax either, tell them it's on the road and where to collect it and it's up to then to SORN it or pay the tax.

They are just blagging you, trying to make you pay their costs.
  • neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    14.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mojo1 said:
    Yeah, you don't have to pay for it, your contract has ended. Don't pay, cancel your insurance on it. If you don't cancel your insurance and it gets hit your insurance will have to pay out so make sure you do it. Don't renew the tax either, tell them it's on the road and where to collect it and it's up to then to SORN it or pay the tax.

They are just blagging you, trying to make you pay their costs.
    A little caution about cancelling tax/insurance etc. As long as the vehicle, as any other goods for that matter, are in your possession, you have a duty of care, and if your are the registered keeper then you have a duty to have it taxed and insured if it's on the road.
  • HerzlosHerzlos Forumite
    11.4K posts
    10,000 Posts Eighth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you return it to them?
  • edited 25 March at 2:29PM
    DoaMDoaM Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 March at 2:29PM
    neilmcl said:
    A little caution about cancelling tax/insurance etc. As long as the vehicle, as any other goods for that matter, are in your possession, you have a duty of care, and if your are the registered keeper then you have a duty to have it taxed and insured if it's on the road.
    Good advice, especially the bold bit.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
  • MakstoMaksto Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Same situation here, have a car on lease from Arval that ends tommorrow and obviously they  carnt collect.  , the insurance is ending at the same time.
    Surely i dont gave to insure again, as the lease contract is officially over ? and they are registerd keeper.
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it's a lease and they are the RK then yes, they are responsible for the vehicle's legal status. But check carefully your lease T&Cs.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay