Tesco Club Card Deals

Options
This year has not been a good year. I have been in and out of hospital most of the year and unable to go on holiday. I was therefore delighted to be told that I can now fly (with the help of an aeroplane of course). I have saved my club card vouchers all year. I have about £94 worth.

I found the holiday I wanted and sent for my Cosmos vouchers (£365). When I phoned them today I was told that you have to pay full brochure price not the discounted one off the internet. I could have saved £252 by booking on the internet I would then have been able to spend my vouchers in Tesco. How is this a good deal. I think it is a con.

I shall not be doing it again.

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi sairy,

This is a good thread for the Warnings and Rip-off board so I'll move your thread over there.

Pink
  • sairy2005
    Options
    To make things worse you have to get the vouchers to them in 3 days (doesn't say 3 working days) so I had to post them special delivery.

The local Post master said he could get them there by 1.00pm for £4.30 or by 9.00am for £9. I did say that at one time buying a first class stamp guaranteed you next day delivery but I had to pay up or lose the deposit.

What a great big fat con.
  • Keeping_Positive
    Options
    It is a pain but all the holiday companies work this way. I think Haven may let you have early booking discount. Instead of paying a quarter of the price I always work that it will be around half price compared to cash.

It is still worth it but a shock if your not aware.
    :j
    May 2013 new beginnings:j
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    wendy24g wrote: »
    It is a pain but all the holiday companies work this way. I think Haven may let you have early booking discount. Instead of paying a quarter of the price I always work that it will be around half price compared to cash.

It is still worth it but a shock if your not aware.

Hi, Re Haven they dont let you have any early discount by using Tesco vouchers, I got a quote off Haven same week school hols, the difference between using tesco vouchers and the "early booking offer" was over £200.00.

So think its back to plan A, - use Tesco vouchers days out and pay for holidays
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us. :money:I have often wondered whether using club points for hols was worthwhile - now I know. Sorry for you though, very annoying.:mad:
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I had a problem with Cosmos. I rang up and they quoted me a price over the phone, then I said I was part paying with Tesco vouchers.

The first price had a free child included which they took off me, so the holiday cost an additional £344!

Partly my fault for not reading that I had to ring a special Tesco number, and I just rang the number from the brochure, and partly their fault as they should have asked if I was a Tesco customer before they did the pricing.

You have to pay the full brochure price without any discounts or offers that may be advertised in the brochure.

It worked out ok for us, as I had a substational amount of vouchers that covered most of the holiday cost.

It might not be worth it if you only have a small number of vouchers though. In this case it may be best to get two prices - one with, and one without your vouchers and shop around to see if anyone else is cheaper.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    You cant really expect a cheaper holiday to get extra discount tho so cant blame the holday company, not sure what they get back off Tesco but it would'nt be face value thats for sure.
  • uktim29
    uktim29 Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    Options
    Becles wrote: »
    and partly their fault as they should have asked if I was a Tesco customer before they did the pricing.

What, there could be hundreds of companies affiliated with them, do you expect them to list them all!
  • Keeping_Positive
    Options
    As Becles said its still a good deal if you pay the majority in club card vouchers. Get a quote for both.
    :j
    May 2013 new beginnings:j
  • Call_Centre_Guru
    Options
    Make sure you ask each company what their policy is, I booked last year with Virgin and although they wouldn't discount the brochure price they did still give me the early booking discount.
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport