Forum Home » Redundancy & Redundancy Planning

Government funding for Coronavirus

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Government funding for Coronavirus

4 replies 121 views
louise570louise570 Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
My partner found out yesterday that he has lost his job due to the Coronavirus situation. His boss basically sent a text saying good luck with no help or advice for next steps. He has worked for the company since August 2019. The government has pledged a lot of money to help people, but we have no idea how to access this or where to start looking. He’s already looking for another job, but we’re concerned about our finances in the coming weeks. Can anybody advise please?

Replies

• edited 19 March at 9:45AM
    p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 March at 9:45AM
    Sorry to hear that.
    I think for individuals you're expected to apply for the appropriate usual benefits - either new-style JSA or Universal credit, depending on his NI record.  You might also be entitled to some Council Tax reduction. The people over on the Benefits board will be able to give some more info, although I think they'll need a bit more from you to give a full answer (are you renting? Are you earning? Do you have savings? Do you have children? )
    If you have a mortgage, then see what the lender can do - they could offer a mortgage holiday to give a bit of breathing space.
    Finally, I think your partner could be entitled to one weeks pay in lieu of notice if he hasn't already been given it ?

• annabanana82annabanana82 Forumite
    487 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    The supermarkets seem to be doing huge amounts of recruiting, it may not be the same sort of money that your partner was earning before but it might be more than benefits
  • edited 19 March at 9:07PM
    birdofafeatherbirdofafeather Forumite
    15 posts
    10 Posts
    edited 19 March at 9:07PM
    The supermarkets seem to be doing huge amounts of recruiting, it may not be the same sort of money that your partner was earning before but it might be more than benefits
    Sadly not an option for millions of people due to 'vulnerability' (i.e having pretty much any major lifelong health condition under the bloody sun or just being old.)
  • Agent_CAgent_C Forumite
    540 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Sadly not an option for millions of people due to 'vulnerability' (i.e having pretty much any major lifelong health condition under the bloody sun or just being old.)
    I'm in this situation, having been made redundant just before the whole coronavirus thing started. My health conditions mean that I need to limit my contact with others. I have signed on for JSA online and am waiting for them to contact me but I won't be able to go to the job centre in person to produce my documents or have an interview, and face to face interviews with employers are out of the question too. These are unprecedented times. So I'm just looking around for freelance/home working jobs which seem to be non-existent at the moment. The irony is that some of my former colleagues who are also vulnerable due to health conditions have been sent home to work but some can't actually do their job from home so they are doing nothing at home on full pay... 😕