New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Late SORN

3 replies 153 views
Jonah01Jonah01 Forumite
249 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
✭✭
Hi guys,
Got a new motor on 9th March. MOT ran out on the 5th on the old one and insurance got moved to the new car on the 9th.
I was intending to get it scrapped straight away but hadn't got round to it so have just declared the car SORN until I sort out where to scrap it.

Obviously this means the old car didn't have insurance or an MOT for a week. Do DVLA give you some grace period for their automatic fines? Obviously noone has driven the car.

Thanks

Replies

• Car_54Car_54 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    MOT doesn't matter, insurance might. Next time, speak to your insurer. They may cover both cars for a few days for little or no cost.
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    30.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it parked on your private land? If it's on the road, then whether it's been driven or not is irrelevant - it has to have all three, tax/insurance/test.

For a week between the expiry of the insurance and the cancellation of tax/declaration of SORN, I doubt you'll have a problem.
  • Jonah01Jonah01 Forumite
    249 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks. It has just been sitting on my drive.

Hopefully will be ok. I did read they send out a reminder before they fine you anyway.