We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Greenhouse gutter ID?

2»

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Is it possible your guttering is on back to front? I can't think of a reason, after looking at your photo again why there would be that curved ring on the edge.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 22 February 2021 at 2:01PM
    -taff said:
    Is it possible your guttering is on back to front? I can't think of a reason, after looking at your photo again why there would be that curved ring on the edge.
    It'd be weird for us both to have made the same error. In fact we have two here - one lean-to across the back door of the house and one stand-alone with the guttering along each side, so we'd have had to make the same error three times.

When you can see the rest of the channel profile, it's actually not possible to put it on the wrong way around. This isn't a separate gutter profile, the "other" side of the extrusion contains an angled piece which joins the top of the vertical wall to the bottom edge of the angled roof section. It's not a separate channel bolted to the outside of the greenhouse.

• droopsnoot
    Forumite
    AdrianC said:
    Never did find a solution. I might have another try this summer...
    I didn't notice at any point that this was such an old thread. I haven't been in this section long and by coincidence it just appeared a few days before I broke the fitting that's already here.

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    So I asked on another forum and got this link given

but I think these are 35mm not 32mm. To be honest though, judicious use fo a blow torch or a heat gun might make the job a lot easier....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • droopsnoot
    Forumite
    Thanks for that - it looks similar to the broken one I have at the moment, although the one I have fits perfectly which suggests they must have been available at one point. The photos on that Amazon listing - along with most sellers who just use the same ones - don't really show the shape very well, one appears to look like it might be a good fit, where the other suggests it might be too vertical on the outer edge. The water butt on our standalone greenhouse has one of the ones easily available on eBay which appears to have been shoved into the end of the gutter.
  • I am also interested to know about if anyone found a down pipe to fit?? No idea in the make of greenhouse and struggling to find anything online to fit the right measurements. I bought a similar one to the amazon one suggested and of course it didn't fit.. Might try and cut it down or something if I can't find another option! 
  • droopsnoot
    Forumite
    edited 14 April 2021 at 10:19AM
    I mended mine in the end, by bonding a bit of copper pipe into the remains of the bit that had broken off. 

Then I made a copy for the other greenhouse by folding up a piece of aluminium, drilling a suitable hole, finding an old plastic top-hat piece and another length of copper pipe. I used rubber car heater hose (as I have loads of it) for the downpipe, but it doesn't work well in one of them and needs to be a rigid pipe because of the relative position of greenhouse and water butt. It really wants to be fixed in place with a bit of sealant around it.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback