New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

ISA timing for tax year

2 replies 102 views
How long does it take to set up an ISA? I have yet to put any money into one this tax year and am thinking about a stocks and shares ISA. Given market volatility I want to see if there are more falls. I know it takes minutes on the website but is the money deposited into the fund the same day? Is it OK to leave until the first week of April? Does anyone have any preference with respect to Cavendish or Vanguard? Having been an expat for a while I am new to this. Thanks.

Replies

• kuratowskikuratowski Forumite
    553 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Best not to cut it too close.  You can pay in the money now and leave it in cash until you are ready to invest, if you are determined to try and time the market.
  • masonicmasonic Forumite
    13.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some providers are able to set up an account and accept a deposit on the last day of the tax year, but I wouldn't risk that. As kuratowski says, you can purchase investments at your leisure but the cash needs to be in the ISA by 5th April.