Forum Home » Consumer Rights

Item Made to Order taking too long

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Item Made to Order taking too long

3 replies 201 views
flooz-ieflooz-ie Forumite
9 posts
Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi, if I've placed an order, paid & sent off the necessary bits to a company who is going to make a personal item for me within their quoted timescale of 16-20 weeks but I haven't received the item within this timescale, what rights do I have on a refund?
Thanks

Replies

• brisbris Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need to send them a time is of the essence letter giving them a further reasonable timescale to complete the order or you can cancel the contract. Quoted timescale is an estimate so you can't hold them to that just yet.
  • Hermione_GrangerHermione_Granger Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    bris said:
     Quoted timescale is an estimate so you can't hold them to that just yet.
    Without knowing what the terms and conditions of the order were, how can you possibly know if the time given was an estimate or a confirmed completion time?
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    16 to 20 weeks is a span of 4 weeks ... so on face value it is an estimate. But you're right ... the T&Cs may state 20 weeks maximum.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay