Forum Home » Savings & Investments » ISAs & Tax-free Savings

Stocks and shares isa. The right time

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Stocks and shares isa. The right time

5 replies 364 views
lozmattlozmatt Forumite
5 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi all. I'm just coming to the end of a 1 year fixed isa with 40k in it. Before the crash I was considering putting it in a managed stocks and shares isa. Is now the right time or hang fire

Replies

• masonicmasonic Forumite
    13.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you were thinking of buying into the market before the crash, then you can rest assured you will be getting a better deal now. You might not get the best possible deal, but if you are concerned about that why not drip feed your money into the S&S ISA over the coming months.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    101.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
     Before the crash I was considering putting it in a managed stocks and shares isa. Is now the right time or hang fire

Now is better than a week or month ago.  It may or may not be better next week or the month after.   However, as investments should really be in there for 10-15 years as a minimum, it really wont make much difference if you put it in now or next month.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • will-he-payitoffwill-he-payitoff Forumite
    734 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I am thinking of doing exactly the same, can anyone advise on a S&S ISA with the best low fees for a one off lump sum deposit.
  • edited 15 March at 8:19AM
    masonicmasonic Forumite
    13.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 March at 8:19AM
    I am thinking of doing exactly the same, can anyone advise on a S&S ISA with the best low fees for a one off lump sum deposit.
    For up to £20k paid in as a lump sum and invested in a single fund, then you could consider Jarvis (x-o.co.uk, holding an ETF) or iWeb (open ended fund or ETF). Vanguard Investor is also quite cheap at that level if you want to hold Vanguard funds.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    101.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You havent mentioned what assets you intend to invest in.  The answer will differ depending on what type of assets you intend to use.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.